Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 171 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I get that MPG in 4X4 and it's down hill both way's with a tail wind. I calculated it by hand. Drive to and from work with cruse control and keep it under 60. Kind of boring and, I realy have to resist the urge to burn rubber and drive fast. You have to love a truck that can burn rubber if you want and get good MPG ! :gearjamin

· Registered
17 Posts
My 06 DRW 4X4, 65K miles, gets about 17-17.5 at 70MPH empty and 10-14 towing depending on the trailer. At about 35K miles it seemed like the mileage suddenly gained 1-1.5 MPG like you flipped a switch. Mileage seems to vary from brands of fuel so you might want to experiment with that and see if you get any improvement. Regardless of the mileage-WHAT A TRUCK!!!!

· Registered
19 Posts
I was expecting to see higher #'s. They're still good though.

A few things are affecting the mileage right now. Colder weather = winter blend fuel = less energy per unit volume. So it takes more fuel now to do the same amount of work. Also, ULSD - some of us are regularly using it and it also has less energy per unit volume compared to previous diesel. Also consider the fact that we let the trucks "idle" and warm up more often in the winter so that right there burns fuel as well.

Figured I'd throw that out since I read a few comments about people not knowing why their mileage has dropped since they bought the truck.

· Diesel Addict
8,026 Posts
Buy a good programmer

I drive 06 lbz and stock i could only 18 to 19 mpg,$1,000 dollars later i'm now getting average of 22.5 mostly highway some city driving,mods are single 5" magnaflow,and last but not least a ppe hot programmer soon to be upgraded to the hot e.t 2,for more info contact the web site posted below p.s. that truck is a 2500hd crew cab short bed
http://www.pacificp.com/index.php?main_page=index

· Registered
56 Posts
Bringing this thread back for some info

I filled up my first tank yesterday, and calculating it out I got 15 mpg with 450 miles on the odometer

I am trying to do my research on how to get more, without voiding the warranty.

Driving type was mixed, but on the highway I do about 75 in it, and it was cold last week as well

Its on 07 DRW Ext. cab

· Diesel Addict
8,026 Posts
Bringing this thread back for some info

I filled up my first tank yesterday, and calculating it out I got 15 mpg with 450 miles on the odometer

I am trying to do my research on how to get more, without voiding the warranty.

Driving type was mixed, but on the highway I do about 75 in it, and it was cold last week as well

Its on 07 DRW Ext. cab
is your truck stock or have you added any thing to it?i have 2 trucks one is a 05 lly stock i got 15 as a high and towing it would drop down to 10 and 11,after i added some mods i now average 20 and towing i rarely drop below 13.the other truck is a 06 lbz 2500HD stock the best i got was 18 to 19 all highway,after the mods i now getting an average of 20 to 21,best yet is upper 23s.ps mods list below.also with the winter fuel i noticed a drop in my fuel economy.

· Diesel Addict
8,026 Posts
kind of hard driving nice all the time:D although it does save on the fuel bill:fart

· Diesel Addict
8,026 Posts
Tell me about it, I'm 19 and have two 11-second street cars and this truck tows the race car now lol driving like my dad kills me!

What an addiction, its terrible! :cool:
all right i'm 19 also:D dude it's hard not to drive like i stole it,i have sevaral mustangs and beemers mad at me:fart

· Registered
56 Posts
all right i'm 19 also:D dude it's hard not to drive like i stole it,i have sevaral mustangs and beemers mad at me:fart
Haha good shit!

I really want a programmer that will just flash the truck, give me some power and gas milage, and then flash to stock when need be.

And how does your 5" magnaflow sound? I want a quiet but huge system to help with the gas as well! (LONG trips hauling 15000 lbs lol)

· Diesel Addict
8,026 Posts
Haha good shit!

I really want a programmer that will just flash the truck, give me some power and gas milage, and then flash to stock when need be.

And how does your 5" magnaflow sound? I want a quiet but huge system to help with the gas as well! (LONG trips hauling 15000 lbs lol)
if you want a quiet but a bigger exhaust then try the 4" exhaust,but if you want noise then get the 5" exhaust its worth it,it sounds awesome.on the programmer try a diablo sport it does everything you want it to and adds some horse http://www.pmtchips.com/_e/dept/01-007/GM_Diesel_6_6L.htm ps came out of kentucky with a load of logs and hit the scales at 41k gross weight,i wouldn't do it again that heavy

· Registered
56 Posts
man you guys are getting 19 and 20 mpg that is great. I have a 07 2500hd and i am getting 12-13 mpg and thats a mix of city and highway, mostly highway, i need to get into the upper teens ASAP. what mods help the most?:rockin

· Diesel Addict
8,026 Posts
man you guys are getting 19 and 20 mpg that is great. I have a 07 2500hd and i am getting 12-13 mpg and thats a mix of city and highway, mostly highway, i need to get into the upper teens ASAP. what mods help the most?:rockin
i have a 06 2500HD stock the best i got was 18 all highway,but the average was 15.i put a straight exhaust on using the stock exhaust and gained 1 mile a gallon,but the biggest difference came from the programmer i gained 3 miles a gallon.i also tried the triple dog and i loved the extra power but i didn't gain any fuel economy so i switched to the ppe and i love it.i now have a 5" turbo back magnaflow exhaust.i can easily get 18 and 19 miles a gallon even spank some imports and mustangs:fart .you should be able to get all that for under 1,000 bucks.:rockin

· Registered
56 Posts
if you want a quiet but a bigger exhaust then try the 4" exhaust,but if you want noise then get the 5" exhaust its worth it,it sounds awesome.on the programmer try a diablo sport it does everything you want it to and adds some horse http://www.pmtchips.com/_e/dept/01-007/GM_Diesel_6_6L.htm ps came out of kentucky with a load of logs and hit the scales at 41k gross weight,i wouldn't do it again that heavy
I was looking at both the diablo and the PPE units

Besides pricing is one better than the other? Price isnt an object if its going to be better for the truck.

Also, even though its got the nasty tranny already in it should I be worried about using a programmer, of course the power would be nice but a few more MPG doesnt hurt either!

· Diesel Addict
8,026 Posts
i never ran the diablo but a friend of mine has one he likes the extra power but he didn't much in fuel mileage i think he only gained 1 to 2 miles a gallon,i personlly like the ppe better then anything except efi live,if you don't mind spending $800 that is what i would go with. efi live web http://www.crankitupdiesel.com/efilive.htm diablo web http://www.pmtchips.com/_e/GM_Diese..._GM_Duramax_LLY_Diesel_Trucks_2004_5_2005.htm the ppe hot e.t. 2 has a lot of option such as timing and tranny reprogramming,but for the price the diablo is not a bad way to go

· Registered
97 Posts
You hammering on the throttle all the time? I have an 07 and in its 3rd tank of gas has already climed up to 16.1Mpg in a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving.

· Registered
10 Posts
I recently added a SuperChips Programmer to my 2006 D-Max CC DRW and the hand-calculated MPG has increased.

I've been making the same 200 mile round trip run on a weekly basis for the last 2 months and the mileage has increased from 17.5 mpg to 19.5 mpg since running with the SuperChips which is roughly a 9% increase in mpg. When not towing I run the Performance Tune at all times as I understand it will offer the best mpg.

NOTE: The SuperChips Programmer is the only modification done so-far. I am considering doing a "muffler only" replacement and I hear that the stock exhaust piping is adaquate for basic hp & tq. gains.

What's the opinion on only doing a muffler swap with either a Magnaflow/Corsa/MBRP muffler etc.

41 - 60 of 171 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.