Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the difference between a 5in system with and without a muffler/resonator? thought about taking mine out but dont want it obnoxiously loud rolllin down the highway.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That's what I have on mine and I don't think it's to loud, but I like it loud. It's really just a matter of opinion. The good thing is you already have a muffler so if you don't like it u can just put it back in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's what I have on mine and I don't think it's to loud, but I like it loud. It's really just a matter of opinion. The good thing is you already have a muffler so if you don't like it u can just put it back in.
LMM and LML'S dont come with a muffler just a catalyist and a DPF. I have the flo pro 862 kit 4 inch straight pipe and at idle its not that much louder that stock. When u lay into it then its loud. Not that bad in the cab either.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have a 4 inch straight pipe. Going down the highway, I don't really notice it except when going up hills. Around town, I can tell it is there, but it is far from obnoxious. A 5 inch pipe should give a little more drone than my 4 inch, though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
LMM and LML'S dont come with a muffler just a catalyist and a DPF. I have the flo pro 862 kit 4 inch straight pipe and at idle its not that much louder that stock. When u lay into it then its loud. Not that bad in the cab either.
I was refuring to the MBRP 5in the OP has in his sig, from what I read it sounds like he is thinking of taking the after market muffler off.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ correct just didnt want a bad drone, but like the rumble

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had a 5 inch straight pipe and I put my cat back on to quiet it down. It had bad drone before and now it's not too bad. But if I could I would like it to sound almost stock when on the highway. But I don't think that is possible without putting the Dpf on.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had a 5 inch straight pipe and I put my cat back on to quiet it down. It had bad drone before and now it's not too bad. But if I could I would like it to sound almost stock when on the highway. But I don't think that is possible without putting the Dpf on.
You could get it back down to stock sound levels. Can't remember if it was on here or not, but someone rigged up a Donaldson muffler off a semi truck. Also, GrandRock makes a QuietPerformance muffler. Basically has a spool (auger shaped deal) but looks like a straight pipe and they claim only a 3-5db increase over a stock semi-truck system. IIRC you can get the QP in a 36" application.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I looked grandrock up and couldn't find any quietperformance muffler. Jmo a 5" exhaust drones pretty bad.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I looked grandrock up and couldn't find any quietperformance muffler. Jmo a 5" exhaust drones pretty bad.
Page 55-56 on their main catalog. QP-5LC would be the part number. Don't look at the pick-up truck catalog.

·
Registered
358 Posts
LMMs do have a muffler. I dunno about the LMLs for sure...but I took my exhaust off my LMM and I had a cat, DPF, and muffler on the piping.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
*Off Topic
Im gettign a corsa muffler next month, so far i heard thats the quietest . My diamond eye is quite but has a slight drone on highway, not bad but i heard the corsa gets rid of it..

OP: If you take muffler off and dont add a straight pipe in its place. The drone will resonate all over your cab.

·
Registered
417 Posts
LMM's do have a muffler!:eek:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I dont have a LML but im pretty sure those come with mufflers as well. If not, ill shit bricks lol

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Oh wow i thinkr your right, I checked flyin6 BT when he swapped his exhaust...LMLs have a big ass DPF. Now my butthole hurts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, instead of cat->dpf->muffler like ours, they go cat->SCR->DPF if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I dont have a LML but im pretty sure those come with mufflers as well. If not, ill shit bricks lol
Start shitting bricks and post it on YouTube, no muffs on LML's!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Need some proof of these bricks...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts