Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a ‘21 GMC 2500 AT4 last week. I’d like to get an adjustable drop down ball hitch with a 2” and 2-5/16” ball combo. I see that B&W makes one that they advertise as being compatible with the GM Multitailgate. Question is: How necessary is that? Will other brands of ball hitches work or will they interfere with the tailgate?

Thank you in advance for any answers and for this forum. This is my first post here and my first time owning a Duramax.

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
208 Posts
I have the B&W hitch for our tailgates, and it works great. My old drop hitch would hit the gate, if you opened the upper part.
On my old hitch, It’s really not the ball that’s in the way, but the shank part at the top that comes out of the receiver.

·
Super Moderator
1,362 Posts
Yes, the big concern is smashing the tailgate into the hitch.

Another option is to install a switch that disables the second drop of the tailgate.
One option...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here is another option and cheaper than buying new hitches if you already own a few - GMC Accessories

it is made buy Curt and cheaper to get it through the GMC or Chevy than thought Curt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Slightly confused on this. Won’t the majority of balls hit the tailgate if you lower it all the way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not sure how to post pics on here, nonetheless, you can see that the problem isn’t so much with the ball itself rather the dropper portion would hit the tailgate. This is the BW brand ball hitch that’s specifically designed for the multi tailgate. It works great!
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Asphalt Hood
Vehicle Hood Aircraft Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The $$ you'll spend for the upgrade will save you $$$$ in repairs.

Reactions: Campingfamco
1 - 7 of 7 Posts