Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

"Must Do" items after buying used?

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  mwswarrior 
#1 ·
Can you guys help me out? I'm looking at buying a used 2015 LML with ~130k miles. What are the "must do" items for an LML with high miles to ensure it lasts for years to come? I understand that deleting makes a big difference, but it's not as easy as it used to be. So, what are the legal things that need to be done?

TIA

#2 ·
I just bought a 2015 on Monday and these are the things I plan to immediately start to do. Mine has just over 57k on it.

Use a good fuel additive (I chose optilube xdp), and also installing a lift pump. Obviously using good fuel is a must as well.

Slightly longer term I have a weight and fluid loss plan in the works for it.

#3 ·
Me personally, I would replace every fluid in that vehicle so I could do a "fresh" reset on my maintenance record.

#5 ·
change all the fluids and filters so you have a fresh start on service, then drive the wheels off. on the LML's its a good idea to fill up at high volume gas stations and use an additive like optilube or similar to extend the life of the CP4. The fuel pump on the LML is different then previous generations and is one of the weak links on the truck that did not exist in previous generations.

#7 ·
Must do for any used vehicle: Clear all the key fobs and reprogram what you have.

#8 ·
This is a good idea that not a lot of people think about, i know up until recently i didnt give it a lot of thought.

Background: i have installed remote starts and similar hardware in cars and truck professionally for many years.

I was having a conversation with one of our other techs a few years back as there was a whole bunch of really weird breakins that shouldent be possible. Peoples cars getting broken into that were locked, not jimmied, no broken glass ect.

I made a comment one day that all someone at a jiffy lube or the like would have to do is have a spare viper / compustar / whatever remote in there tool box, and they can pair it to as many vehicles as they like, write down the customer info and hit the car later with very low risk.

well fast forward a couple years and just recently the police took down a major operation that was doing just that exact thing, pretty sure it was at my local GM dealer too if i remember the article right.

Moral of the story, you should also clear your remote start fobs if you have an aftermarket system. Most can pair up to 4 remotes but only come with 1 or 2.

#9 ·
It's like moving into a new place. The locks should be changed, the garage door remotes and keypad cleared.

#10 ·
I'm with the others here in resetting all maintenance I can do so it's fresh and a know the timeline and that it's done right with right fluids and filters. this would include oil, trans, diffs, xfr case, air & cabin filters.

I would also take a look at the coolant and depending on mileage change it too.

Some fuel treatment to clean the system.

Take a close look at tire wear to see if an alignment and rotation is needed or perhaps some wear items or idler and pitman. No need to ruin good tires!

If it wasn't detailed, I'd get a used vehicle detailed including a good under carriage and engine bay cleaning. This makes leaks and other issues easier to detect.

I also usually get a good set of mats to save the carpets at the outset.

Recently I started replacing the headlights and driving lights with quality LEDs that are typically brighter and will definitely last A LOT longer than typical replacements.

#12 ·
Using a fuel additive was mentioned on here; is that used during every fuel up I'm assuming? Thanks all for the info!

#14 ·
Additives; That can depend on if you have Bio fuel where you buy your fuel.
I use additives in every tank, some just uses once in a blue moon this doesn't really do anything for long term.
If you use the search option on this forum you'll find lots of fuel additive discussions on your ?
You'll have way more suggestions on what's best than what your really looking for.
Including some that just refuses to use additives. 'dunno; why.

I use Diesel Kleen with a little LUCAS fuel additive every fill-up since I've owned my truck new 6/2/07, cost about $1.25 per 32 gallon tank which equals to only about a 3-4 cents per gallon increase over the cost of the fuel per gallon.
Pretty inexpensive insurance.

If you find a additive you like buy in the gallon containers and put the amount you want to add in smaller bottles, this will save you mucho $$$.

Attachments

Reactions: _CROW
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.