Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been near or at freezing the last few days. Went to crank my truck and it did for a second. Then it died and will not start. It only does this when it gets cold outside. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem. Tia

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
We have been near or at freezing the last few days. Went to crank my truck and it did for a second. Then it died and will not start. It only does this when it gets cold outside. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem. Tia
so you crank the truck and it starts for a second then dies and will not recrank?

or you crank the truck for a second and then it wont crank any more?

or you crank the truck and it starts for a second, then dies and just cranks?

My guess would be fuel gelling in the filter but more clarity on the no start situation would help.

A gelled fuel filter would crank and crank without starting as no or little fuel will get to the engine. You could have had some liquid fuel in the system that made it to the engine which got your the initial start, then it stalled and wont restart if the filter is gelled. Solution to that would be to 1, add a diesel safe antigel / wax liquidizer to the tank, and replace the fuel filter. OR, if possible, park it in a warm garage for a few hours to thaw out the system and then replace the filter. Fortunately changing the fuel filter on the first gen trucks is fairly easy, a little annoying outside in the cold, but it doesent really require any significant tools.

If it cranks, then stops cranking that sounds like dead batteries.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it to fire up and stay cranked for a few seconds. Then it died and I tried to start it again but would not crank. It turns over but not crank.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Did you rule out a loss of prime, pushing the primer button until firm?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Check the prime, as mentioned.

What have the temps been? where are you located?

Do you add a fuel treatment? Anti gelling additive?

Can you get a new fuel filter and replace it, if its gelled fuel in the filter...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts