Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My duramax diesel 6.6L is showing transmission fluid temp is staying around 200deg to 225deg I am pulling trailer around 6500lbs loaded on the trailer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok it need transmission filters changed and fluids changed. What is a fair price if I take to a shop does anyone have any idea how much it will cost

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well first off, you really need to share more information. But ballpark, the fluid and filters are less than $100 unless you go to a dealership. So about $200 would be plenty fair at a shadetree shop. Depending on the dealership, probably $300-400.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well got filters and fluids changed in transmission but still running hot driving you can feel no difference in it. Like shifts good not slipping or dropping gears hard nothing like that just the temp is still going up 215 and cant got faster than 65mph if I go faster than 65 it gets hot again. So am I looking at a whole new transmission

·
Registered
334 Posts
Although I haven't had this problem, there's plenty of comments regarding fluid level being too high causing your transmission to run hotter than normal. Some say to run them at the bottom of the normal range, some guys even say they run them down a pint low or more. If yours is full, you might try draining some out and see if that's makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
4,633 Posts
What year is your truck, how many miles, your stack could be plugged up with crap
Yes, if your cooling stack is blocked with debris then the air cannot get through to cool anything like it should. Deveral threads about "How To" but basically yo have to take the stack apart and clean each and every cooler.

Not difficult but not fun either, just has to be done!

While you aer researching read this thread and its links:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts