Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently my ATS Stage IV Allison has started whining profusely. The thing sounds just like a hydrostatic drive tractor. Anyone heard of this before??? Also seems like torque converter is staying locked as it bogs down and wants to shutter when holding the brake in gear(no throttle).

Im running a modified big Quad EFI Live tune and a Hot Edge Stack.:rockin

I pulled the thing all summer with great sucess and no problems but then this winter when i havent even been runnin her hard, this happened????

While it is still driving I am wondering if i should stop driving it immediately

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Have you thought of taking it back to the place that installed the tranny upgrade kit? You might want to PM MikeL to see if he has any ideas since he is the Allison guru.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed the fuel filter two nights ago... ?? Yeah I have been talking with the guy that installed it and he is researching it as well because he had never heard of it either. Just trying to get some other opinions

THanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
When's the last time you changed the spin-on Ally filter?? How's the fluid level? How does the oil look and smell?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spin on was about 3500 mi ago or so and fluid levels, color, and smell are all fine.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update for ya... The whining was caused by the front pump in the tranny a very uncommon problem to have, however the even more unheard of reason for the pump to go out was a broken bell housing. ATS had never even heard of it before... I guess it was just my dumb luck. I'll keep tellin people it was too much power though.... HAHA $300 for the bell housing and $128 for the pump took care of her though

·
Registered
484 Posts
Glad to hear that everything is fixed and back to normal for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
got an ats in my truck making the same noise had nothing but nightmares from this tranny mine only does it in park and neutral though yours do the same?

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
You might want to PM him this thread is over 2 years old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It made the noise in all gear selection ranges. If the truck was running ... it was talkin to ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts