Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Got an update on the winch mount: I did some work on it this weekend, and I don't think it's possible to fit a winch inside the bumper. There just isn't enough space in there for one. There is only about 28" inside the frame rails, and the transmission cooler lines come out right there, making it nearly impossible (I think) to stick a full-size winch in there.

So on to plan B: put the winch outside the bumper. I am looking at either fabricating up something to hold it in place, or just going with something off the shelf like the Warn Trans4mer. I want something simple, and that seems like it might be the ticket. What do you guys think? Should I just buy the Warn mount, or should I make something myself?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Also, I put a CB radio in the truck, with the antenna mounted to one of the bosses on the Headache rack! I need to take some pictures of the install, but it looks nice and clean and all the wires are nicely hidden under the floor in the interior. I still need to wire the CB up to the power, but it looks like I need to make a special relay to hook into the MBEC. I am following the instructions here for the MBEC connector, just need to order some parts. I'll post some pictures of that soon.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looks great! Just currious but why is it that all headache racks have those two parts that stick up on top? I see them on basically all of them and always wondered why they were there.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The warn system looks pretty cool, but personally I would build something :thumb I like being able to say "yeah I built that" :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Looks great! Just currious but why is it that all headache racks have those two parts that stick up on top? I see them on basically all of them and always wondered why they were there.
Those uprights are there to keep stuff from sliding off the side when you have it levered up there. You wouldn't want a bunch of wood sliding off your truck as you took a corner!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The warn system looks pretty cool, but personally I would build something :thumb I like being able to say "yeah I built that" :)
Yeah I have to say I agree with you on building things myself, but after scratching my head about this one for a couple of months, it might just be easier to buy something for a couple hundred $$. But who knows though, I may just end up copying the warn system...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Been thinking more about the front bumper situation, and I am leaning towards a Road Armor or similar bumper. I have looked at Iron Bull, Winch Ready and Throttle Down Kustoms. Anyone have experience with any of those bumpers? What one would you recommend?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
A few more updates, I recently had the truck go into limp mode and throw a MAF sensor code. Limp mode wouldn't last for long, a couple of minutes at a time while I was idling, usually after starting the truck up again when it was warm, and then it would go back to normal. Happend 5 or 6 times. After the first time I found that the bolts holding the intake tube to the airbox had come off and the filter was able to move around a lot in the airbox. I got some new bolts and lock-tited them in there. I did a bunch of other troubleshooting (cleaning the MAF sensor, checking the band clamps, etc.) and finally talked to the folks at S&B filters. They sent me a new intake tube that matched the MAF profile better, as well as a new filter (since it was slightly damaged from rubbing on the inside of the airbox when the bolts came out). Since then I haven't had any issues, hopefully it stays that way.

Hats off to the customer support at S&B, they were very nice and were great to send me the new parts, free of charge! You don't see that very often anymore!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I changed the oil and oil filter in the truck today, and while I was at it, I installed a Fumoto F-106N drain valve. Super easy to install, and it will make the oil changes in the future much easier with much less mess! No more cardboard boxes under the oil pan to stop the oil from getting everywhere!

The new valve, and the tubing and fittings to keep everything nice and tidy.
2014-09-01 17.48.02.jpg

The valve installed on the oil pan.
2014-09-01 18.59.01.jpg

The finished install, with the tubing going back under the engine and zip tied off to one of the sub-frame bolts. That should keep it in place, but I will double check after a while to make sure.
2014-09-01 19.04.38.jpg

Not the best pictures, so I apologize for that, I was taking them in a hurry with messy hands.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
No progress on the truck recently. Been really busy with work, so not much time for anything else.

Been thinking about putting a light bar in the front of the grille, I think I can fit one between the grille and the support brackets with some minimal trimming of one of those.

Other than that I have been considering the options on bumpers. The big debate I am having is build vs buy... Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Couple of updates on the truck. First, I got an ARE topper for it. $450 off of craigslist. Not a bad deal and it makes using the bed in the winter much easier.
2015-03-04 17.41.11.jpg

Seeing the truck that dirty, I had to wash it, and when I did, I found that the door mouldings had some sort of wear on them. I hadn't seen this before and initially thought it was dirt, but it won't rub off. It's only on the driver's side, so it could be due to the sun because that side always faces south when I park.
2015-03-22 13.11.08.jpg

Any ideas on what that might be and how to fix it? Or is it just time to remove the door moulding?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Good to know. I am considering it, but kinda like the protection the moulding gives when parking near stupid people.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I like mine gone, molding was lookin kinda bad, clean look now. Easier to wash too

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Been a little while since I have done anything to the truck, but last winter I built a roof rack that mounts on top of the topper. I still need to add some lights to the side in the cutouts, as well as put a light bar in the front of the rack. I have a friend with a similar setup and the light bar is so awesome on the dark roads when camping. I am planning to add an electrical box with switched circuits to power everything. I will update whenever I get that finished up.

Last weekend I installed a Ranch Hand Legend Series front bumper, and I have to say it looks really good. Pretty easy to install the bumper, just a few bolts to take the factory bumper off and put the Ranch Hand on. It is definitely a nice look and will provide protection from wildlife.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
I changed the oil and oil filter in the truck today, and while I was at it, I installed a Fumoto F-106N drain valve. Super easy to install, and it will make the oil changes in the future much easier with much less mess! No more cardboard boxes under the oil pan to stop the oil from getting everywhere!

The new valve, and the tubing and fittings to keep everything nice and tidy.
View attachment 502650

The valve installed on the oil pan.
View attachment 502658

The finished install, with the tubing going back under the engine and zip tied off to one of the sub-frame bolts. That should keep it in place, but I will double check after a while to make sure.
View attachment 502666

Not the best pictures, so I apologize for that, I was taking them in a hurry with messy hands.

Echo, found your build after looking for some DIY jerry can mounts. I'm wanting to build one as well. Thanks for the photos. I would, however, like to see how your removable strap fits inside the slit on the fender side of your mount. I assume it has a bend to it otherwise you could just flex that strap even with it locked.

Question i had for you, though, looking at your fumoto valve it appears that you left the hose connected to it. Is this correct? If so, maybe i missed you explaining why. Could you advise or link me to where you explained this thinking? Based on your thread, theres a good reason.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Echo, found your build after looking for some DIY jerry can mounts. I'm wanting to build one as well. Thanks for the photos. I would, however, like to see how your removable strap fits inside the slit on the fender side of your mount. I assume it has a bend to it otherwise you could just flex that strap even with it locked.

Question i had for you, though, looking at your fumoto valve it appears that you left the hose connected to it. Is this correct? If so, maybe i missed you explaining why. Could you advise or link me to where you explained this thinking? Based on your thread, theres a good reason.
The hose on the fumoto valve just gets zipped tied to a bolt on the frame cross member. It's out of the way and there when I need to change the oil. I did put a brass cap on the end of the hose so that any excess oil doesn't get out.

The Jerry can mount strap goes through a rectangular hole in the back side of the mount. It goes in a good inch on the back side, so it's pretty secure when locked. More secure than a $50 Jerry can probably needs to be. I can try and take a picture of that at some point if you would like.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts