Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on mcrats forum but I figured Id post it here as well to help out anyone who wants to build their own twins.

The twins I built are not that big, but they are bigger than the standard MPI kits that most people use...

borgwarner S480 over a stock LLY variable vane turbo. The S480 should support 800-900rwhp but to in order to reach that Ill have to upgrade/modify the stock VVT.

Myself and Heepjeep did ALL of the fabrication completely from scratch. I painted the piping myself with factory-GM dark charcoal metallic base/clear.

Ill add more to this thread/details in a bit...let me know what you guys think.

ben

·
Registered
378 Posts
man there are some seriously talented people here! :drink

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Looks sweet Ben. I really like the 180 out of the stock turbo and the FF location!! You guys do damn nice work!!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you ever get to dyno it?
no, and I never will because IMO I really could care less how much HP it makes going 0mph. :)

dyno's are a totally worthless and crappy number that means NOTHING. What matters is how much REAL WORLD USABLE HP it makes; what it runs at the track. I dont understand the fascination with these 1000rwhp trucks if they cant back it up with a low 10 second pass at the track. ;)

I will be running it at the track hopefully on the 17th.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The turbo is positioned so you dont have to cut the fender liner either... ;)

The cold pipe looks like it sticks up a lot, but the hood closes just fine.

·
like a Ninja
5,212 Posts
no, and I never will because IMO I really could care less how much HP it makes going 0mph. :)

dyno's are a totally worthless and crappy number that means NOTHING. What matters is how much REAL WORLD USABLE HP it makes; what it runs at the track. I dont understand the fascination with these 1000rwhp trucks if they cant back it up with a low 10 second pass at the track. ;)

i still think a dyno number would be nice also.:rolleyes:

who did your tuning?

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts

tell us how you really feel? :rof

let's phrase that a different way. What's low ET on the truck? 17th of April?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i still think a dyno number would be nice also.:rolleyes:
Why? Like I said, dyno's are useful for nothing more than a tuning tool. Back in early 2006 my truck was running 12's at 108mph, on fuel only, weighing 7680lbs. (that wasnt considered all that slow back in 06) It dyno'd 435rwhp-445rwhp. I dont know if it was that the turbo wasnt spooling properly on the dyno, etc, no idea.

Now do you think making a 7700lb truck go 108mph in the 1/4 mile only takes 435rwhp????

who did your tuning?
I have always tuned my truck myself ever since I was an original efilive beta tester back in 2005. :)

ben

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's low ET on the truck? 17th of April?
yes, 17th of april there is a track day at lebanon valley, in NY.

I have no idea what it will run so I wont make any promises...12's or something?

·
Registered
161 Posts
really nice looking work!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Looks good man! Bet it runs like a champ!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I always like to see things like this that people make their self... especially from scratch. And here I was proud of making my dual stack kit and Y-pipe from scraps...lol.. It looks like you guys did an awesome job !!
Nice work and thanks for the pics and info !

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys, Im still working on tuning it...I also need to get a drive pressure gauge hooked up to see where its at for that...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You guys do some great fab work

·
Registered
461 Posts

Sounds like some was molested by a dyno when they were younger!? :rof Just kiddin man, fab work looks great, i would love to do twins now that my trans is built but i gotta stop somewhere before i get to carried away! Already got about $10k in the truck!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts