Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 duramax dually, I can be driving at about 70 mph and it will just quit. The battery light comes on, sometimes it will say batter not charging. I have replaced the battery and it will still do it. I can go and prime my filter then it will start again. I keep my filter changed about every 5000 miles. Can anyone give me any insight on this? Darryl

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
any mods? Did you replace both batteries on the truck? (one battery could be dragging down the other) You could have a bad alternator. Have you looked at your bleeder screw? Sometimes they get a hairline crack....I don't think that would cause it, but something to look at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edge

Yes it has the edge chip. I replaced only one battery the other battery showed very good. I will check the bleeder screw to see if any cracks. What else should I check. This is my first diesal motor so I know nothing about it. Thank You Darryl

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Try unplugging the edge and driving for a while. I bet it is the edge doing it. Also, when you change batteries on a diesel, you are supposed to replace them as a pair no matter what....the other one could go bad shortly after and kill your good new one. That is what I read on other forums FWIW. But I would disconnect the edge and then drive for a couple of days and see if it makes any difference...edge had that problem with certain versions and from getting too hot under the hood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess I cant have my cake and eat it to. I hate to get rid of the edge it sure does give it more power and save on fuel mileage. Is there somewhere else i can put the computer that wouldnt let it get hot? Thanks DW

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
If it is the edge causing your problem, contact edge. they should trade out the module for a new one and then your problem should go away. I don't remember what version was having the stalling/dying problems, but I know from other forums, edge replaced the module with a newer version. I would go that route since edge does have a decent product. The only reason I don't run one is because my truck has the TST Powermax on it when I bought it. If I would have bought it myself, I would have gone with the edge for the ease of use and safety features. Also, where you located? Some guys have made a heat shield for theirs, but they live in a hot climate too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, but I didnt have to prime anything. I was coming home from a 2 hr highway drive, towing a light trailer, I was in town, slowing down to make a turn, and the engine just died, same 'battery not charging" message, I was able to just let it coast into a parking lot, stopped, put it in park, cycled key off, then it started right up like nothing was wrong. I too, am running the edge chip. so far, I love it, but this has me a little concerned. I have heard through the rumor mill that edge did have some issues, but they were real good about switching out the unit. mines new enough that the module has the plug (not the long tail to the main large plugs)

I have a decent mechanical background, and nothing behaved like it would be related to a bad battery. the "battery not charging" message came on only after the engine died, so that would make sense that it's not getting any charge from the alternator, but there is plenty of juice to run the trucks computer systems so the message center displays that message. the battery not charging should not cause the engine to die. the message came on because the engine died, not the other way around.

it's only happened once, and I have had the truck for 4K miles (75K total) before I put the edge on, without any problems. Right now, the story points to the Edge unit, but im open to suggestions and ideas.

Davy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem

I have experienced the exact same problem the last 3 days. I was lucky enough that if I just pulled over and waited 5 min the truck would start again. Tonight however, I stalled out going up hill in the far left lane of a very busy traffic intersection and had the police and everything going on. I'm parking the truck until I get this figured out. Any way I also get the same messages that Darryl got like "The battery light comes on, sometimes it will say batter not charging." What is interesting is all of the lights work just fine and are not dim. Also when it stalls, it won't turn over at all. as if there is a short and power is not getting to the starter when I turn the ignition. But when time has lapsed, it starts and the starter doesn't drag or anything indicating a weak battery. This seems more like a short of some type by the waythe truck just dies for no apparent reason. I found an Edge module under the hood but it does not appear to be connected as if it were disconnected on purpose. I bought the truck used.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rob

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
The edge is known to do exactly what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I have experienced the exact same problem the last 3 days. I was lucky enough that if I just pulled over and waited 5 min the truck would start again. Tonight however, I stalled out going up hill in the far left lane of a very busy traffic intersection and had the police and everything going on. I'm parking the truck until I get this figured out. Any way I also get the same messages that Darryl got like "The battery light comes on, sometimes it will say batter not charging." What is interesting is all of the lights work just fine and are not dim. Also when it stalls, it won't turn over at all. as if there is a short and power is not getting to the starter when I turn the ignition. But when time has lapsed, it starts and the starter doesn't drag or anything indicating a weak battery. This seems more like a short of some type by the waythe truck just dies for no apparent reason. I found an Edge module under the hood but it does not appear to be connected as if it were disconnected on purpose. I bought the truck used.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rob
The edge should not keep it from turning over-- IMHO
You may have a bad ignition switch- several have reported a bad switch on the 01-05 trucks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I to have the Edge and experienced the same problem,4 times in less than a year. Once at a traffic light and the rest while letting off the accelerator. I just bumped up to neutral,hit the key and went on my way.Blamed it on bad fuel,stealer said it was a "Glitch".One other problem I have with my edge is the in monitor speedometer will "freeze" on any given speed at any given time.Anyone else experience this with the unit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all input on this forum regarding this issue. l own a 2004 Sierra Duramax with the identical problem. I've had the vehicle into the dealership countless times and have had way too many exciting moments, often in heavy traffic, when I lost all electrical and engine power. I've done a ton of research regarding the issue and it wasn't until I found this website that I found an answer. I too have the Edge chip (EJC1001WAM - LB7). I contacted Edge Product and they acknowledged that they indeed have a problem regarding the above unit, just didn't have a way of finding out who owned them anymore. They didn't hesitate to offer me a free replacement (they'll replace the internals of your present unit). Turn around time is quick too. Thanks again. -jeff

·
Registered
751 Posts
it sounds like the edge. I ran the edge on my common rail cummins and went threw 4 edge boxes. There customer service is very good give the a call and they will change out your edge. the edge will make it to were the truck will turn over but not start for a few minutes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts