Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I'm getting like 12 MPG. Gonna make the big haul to Tyler, Texas in the morning from Houston... we'll see how she does. So far, I'm very impressed. The brakes on these trucks (2011 2500 HD 4x4) are awesome. That, and there was hardly any ass end squat.:thumb

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
You have a weight distribution hitch on that right? Or a Class V drop hitch?

Thats alot of weight for a "Walmart" hitch if thats what you are running!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Speaking from experience....

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should be. They guy I borrowed the trailer from hooked me up with everything. I've got my class V on order, should be in next week.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm under 10K so I should be ok. The truck weighs 6900, trailer maybe 1500, Harley 600=9K

·
Registered
665 Posts
smokinyourass - interesting way to trailer a motorcycle. ( I own a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic).
The 2011s are great towing trucks. Put about 3000 towing miles on mine and getting better mileage than my 2005. Round trip to Myrtle Beach I averaged 11.2 mpg pulling a 12,000 fifth wheel.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I averaged 12.6 with varying grade changes and traffic. I was extremely happy with how the truck performed, very glad I purchased this truck. Now if I can just get this emissions crap off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pickup looks good man, glad you are happy with it.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I preferred pulling the trailer loaded with the truck and Harley vs. the ride back empty. I only noticed the trailer when I hit some nasty bumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Boat Tow

Gonna do a pretty decent tow with my new truck as well this coming weekend. Towing the boat back from Lake of the Ozarks back to Wisconsin...mostly flat travel...this will be the first time I tow this boat with my new HD2500. I did all the calculations and have the right tow gear. When I towed my last boat, the truck didn't even notice it was there...about 8000 total lbs...this boat will be getting me close to max towing according to the specs. So...what temp should I look for on my DIC for transmission temp should it start to get hot? Whats a high temp? Secondly, someone told me they purposely understated the tow capability to keep the overall tax down on these trucks as they were much more capable of hauling a heavier load. Boat is on a tri-axel trailer with it's own brakes and a smooth runner for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...one other question...I've been reading a lot of the posts in this forum and don't see much if any concerns about gearing. They have to matter don't they? If you look at the Chevy Specs...heck engines and tranny being the same, but you could lose as much as 4000 lbs of towing ability depending on the rear end...

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gonna do a pretty decent tow with my new truck as well this coming weekend. Towing the boat back from Lake of the Ozarks back to Wisconsin...mostly flat travel...this will be the first time I tow this boat with my new HD2500. I did all the calculations and have the right tow gear. When I towed my last boat, the truck didn't even notice it was there...about 8000 total lbs...this boat will be getting me close to max towing according to the specs. So...what temp should I look for on my DIC for transmission temp should it start to get hot? Whats a high temp? Secondly, someone told me they purposely understated the tow capability to keep the overall tax down on these trucks as they were much more capable of hauling a heavier load. Boat is on a tri-axel trailer with it's own brakes and a smooth runner for sure.
You should be all good man, my temp on the tranny never went above like 156ºF. Your max towing on your hitch should be somewhere close to 12 or 13 K. Its a class five so, you can put a pretty good amount of weight behind it. If you go any heavier than what you are currently, I would definitely get a class five rated ball mount, its gonna have a 2.5" shank on it, no adapter needed. Don't worry about your gearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Appreciate the feedback, but that rear end has me thinking...on Chevy's tow chart for 2011 trucks, there is almost a 4000 lb difference between a 3.73 rear end and a 4.10 rear end. Same engine, same tranny...that not a big gap in ratios, but in my opinion, that's a huge difference in tow-ability.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Nice tow man!
Sorry to hijack just lookin for a bit of advice. I'm heading to NC from Ohio this winter somtime and was thinking about pulling my old chevy down. Have a 1500lb trailer just like the one in the pic that i plan on putting it on. Or i could just towbar it like i do taking it to the track..lol Truck weighs about 4900lbs. You guys think i would be alright through the mountains without a weight distribution hitch and sway bar? I'm thinking i will get about 14-15 mpg on flat ground with it and about 10-11 in the mountains??? I get 13.8 towing my 24 ft boat @ 55-60mph... Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I averaged roughly 16MPG during break in, (like 500 miles on truck at start), going thru the mountains, with a 6500lb enclosed. My old F350 got about 9 with the same load, but not in the hills. Im quite impressed with mine also.

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
thats sweet man get that 1/2 ton out of here!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts