Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the plunge and bought a Duramax. This is my first diesel so I am sure I will have a few simpleton questions soon. I bought a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD with 146k miles from an older gentleman who kept it garaged and maintained by the local diesel mechanic. He took care of it because I have never seen such a clean truck/car for its age. He added a 35 gal aux fuel tank to the bed and an electric fuel pump. He used it to tow from FL to IN and that is about it. I got it because I need to something toy tow some toys around (the Belair is not mine BTW:frown2:). It is serving as my daily until I can get another vehicle out to me in the spring. I know gas engines... diesels, not so much. I just spent 20 mins looking at a drip from the oil drain plug and the breather tube on the front passenger side. Reading through the forum, that's normal (I guess). I just have to get used to it.

I might as well ask: Any good tips for me? It seems people are split on whether daily driving a diesel is a good thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome to the club! You can get a updated drain plug from Chevy that has a gasket built in for around $5 bucks, that fixed my drain plug drip. Sitting is bad, using and maintaining is good. Doesn't mean you have to drive it everyday, but I make sure my truck goes for a good drive at least once a weak. Change the fuel filter if you don't know how old it is. Change all the fluids for the matter if you don't have a record of them being changed from that local diesel mechanic.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's a great looking truck! And super low mileage too, you got a good one!

Reactions: Chris_12

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
Welcome! Looks like a nice truck. I replaced my drain plug with a Fumoto valve about 8 years ago, makes oil changes and taking samples easier and so far, it has never leaked.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Reactions: Chris_12
1 - 7 of 7 Posts