Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone I just purchased a 2015 LML Duramax with 160,000kms (about 100,000 miles) it is bone stock, one previous owner didn't do anything just normal maintenance. I don't know too much about diesels as this is my first diesel truck. I have done a lot of research and am now a bit worried about the cp4 fuel pump. any cost effective recommendations I can do to prevent this failure. I want to add a lift pump for sure and have looked into using diesel fuel additives for better lubrication. Im not going to be boosting power number with any crazy tunes, I've thought about getting it deleted for better milage and longer engine life but that's about it. I would appreciate any info or recommendations you guys would have for me. thank you

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
207 Posts
Install a lift pump, keep clean diesel in it from a reputable high volume station and add a fuel treatment every now and then.

Reactions: Laww7777

·
Registered
496 Posts
Clean fuel and an additive are a must. Lift pump is also a good idea.

You can also do a cp3 conversion and eliminate the chance all together. It's expensive, but WAY less expensive than if the cp4 lets loose and wipes a set of injectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice guys, any specific additive you use or recommend. also what are your thoughts on deleting the truck, I will mostly be using for work towing equipment, bobcats, etc. plus a few long drives a year for hunting trips. so is a delete and tune worth it? I have read that deleting the truck will allow it to run better and better for the engine.

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
207 Posts
Hot shots is what I use. For lift pump, I prefer the airdog II-4G as it is adjustable and is Airdog's most recent model.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,128 Posts
Congrats on your new to you truck! For additive I would recommend the OptiLube products. As for pump its basicly comes down to preference. I like the way the AirDog mounts better than Fass but other than that they are both good pumps. Another recommendation would be to swap fuel pressure regulator with Exergy’s upgraded unit.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
3,576 Posts
Regarding deleting, unless you have a problem with any of that equipment just leave it alone. It sounds like you're going to be driving the truck in the manner it was designed to be used so the truck should behave accordingly. If an emissions component fails, see what the overall cost to tune vs the cost to repair is and make your decision then.

Get the lift pump, use the additive, and enjoy the new ride.

Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding deleting, unless you have a problem with any of that equipment just leave it alone. It sounds like you're going to be driving the truck in the manner it was designed to be used so the truck should behave accordingly. If an emissions component fails, see what the overall cost to tune vs the cost to repair is and make your decision then.

Get the lift pump, use the additive, and enjoy the new ride.

Welcome to the family.
thanks a lot dude. I am definitely going to get a lift pump asap and pick up some fuel additive. do you run additive with every tank of fuel or just every couple months? I gonna take your advice and leave emissions alone for now. thanks for the help everyone

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
3,576 Posts
I have an L5P so my concerns are not the same as yours when it comes to fuel delivery. I don't currently have a fuel additive regimen. From what I've seen it looks like Stanadyne and Hot Shot are the two highest recommendations.

·
Registered
2014 WT LML, 211k, LDS 64mm, CTS2, SD cold air intake
79 Posts
Hot Shot. Air Dog. Best advice I can give anyone with emissions still intact is DO NOT repeatedly for long periods of time let your truck just sit and idle. Shut it off. Will plug your DPF pretty quickly.

Due to the nature of my last job, and in Michigan (winters can suck along the lake) my truck was often left running on job sites. Wasn’t too long and was in limp mode with exhaust being pushed back up and out from under the hood. No fun and not a cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
Since you are new this thread may be of interest to you:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.