Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need some help. My 02' started this morning and then stopped. Would not start after that. It would turn over, just would not hit. I waited till the yellow light went off each time I tried. It ran fine yesterday. Now the change engine oil light has been on for over a week, I have not had time to change it yet. Would this be a problem? I am thinking something about fuel. The fuel filter was changed about 8000 miles ago. It was about 35 degrees last night also. Help!!
HEEP

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Any mods?? I don't think the change oil light would have anything to do with it. I would start by changing the fuel filter. You could have a bad fuel heater on the filter head, but I think 35* isn't enough to make the fuel gel. I had a friend that his heater went bad and he never had a problem until it got to -35F or colder....So, start by changing the fuel filter and check your bleeder screw for cracks.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO mods. I had my wife try to go out and start it up. Still no. I guess I will change the fuel filter tonight. Are there any tips on this?
HEEP

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed the filter last night. Man there was rust on the inside. What causes that? Maybe need to drain the water? Well after the filter, it started and ran great. Thanks for everones help.
HEEP

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Try running an additive to keep the water out...you will still have a little bit of water either way, but I use stanadyne and I have very little rust in the filter. There is probably so little water in the filter that you wouldn't be able to drain it anyway. I would just change the filter a little more often...before I put the pre-oem filter on mine I was changing my filter every 7000-8500 miles. I can go longer now since I have a secondary filter that filters down to 2 microns.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys,I'm new here,but is there not a thingy (technical term) on the bottom of the fuel filter to drain the water?
Might just drain a little out every now and then,
My newguy .02

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is one on the very bottom of the water sensor attached to the fuel filter. It is under there unless it has been broken off. I have never found water in it yet. 80,000 miles and changed over a dozen times...no water, just dirty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
my first thing would be to get fuel somewhere else. Sounds like shitty fuel to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts