Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 2003 2500 HD silverado duramax that now has almost 56,000 miles on it.
i want to change the oil and filter, tranny filter and fluid and cabin air filter.
is there anything else i should change?
i live in north texas (mild winters, HOT summers).

sorry in advance for these open ended questions.
what filters do ya'll recommend?
what brands of fluids do ya'll recommend?
where can i get these?

thanks for any help.

hookset

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Air filter, of course!!!

Filters, i recomend AC Delco oil,fuel,and air. For fluids, i use castrol tection 15/40 oil in the engine. For the trans use the Allison filter!!

THe filters u can get at any parts store except the allison filter, you will need to get them from an allison dealer, you could try sending Mike L a pm he should be able to fix u up with them or go to GMDieselTech.com, Eric has all of them there!

THe oil Advanced auto and auto zones sell it and i beleive autozone has a good deal on it right now!!!!!!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use K&N oil filters I Used there air filter till I got a BHAF, and I use Rotella 15/40, and for fuel filter I just use napa.

·
3,162 Posts
K&n's have caused dmax owners alot of problems with the maf sensor i would try and stay away from oiled filters if at all possiable!

These trucks will make 500hp+ with the stock paper air filter,FYI!!!!!!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
352 Posts
Can you guys get BHAFs in your trucks?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Big Honkin Air Filter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is that the same as a cold air intake system?

i've been told that this will increase HP and increase fuel economy.
i need to do some more research first (and save some $).

hookset

·
3,162 Posts
AFtermarker airfilter, and cold air intakes have been dyno proven to not add any hp untill either u add an aftermarket turbo or are making about 500rwhp and even then the gains have been only around 5hp. Tha biggest gain you will get with a different air intake setup is turbo whistle!!!!!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Intake

I have the AFE Stage 2 Intake, my truck runs cooler EGTs but I also have exhaust, I have had no problems with it, I run the Edge Juice as well...and have seen fuel mileage increase as well.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am biased, but I use Amsoil oils in every place I can put it on my Cummins race truck. Amsoil and Donaldson teamed up to build the best line of filters around. They have a great air filter that is similar to a paper element, but much more durable and effective. Also, AEM Bruteforce intakes are dry element. If you stumble over a used cold air, Amsoil offers universal filters that can be used to replace the oiled gauze filters.

Amsoil's filters are better and less expensive than the filters the delaer sells.

Also, Amsoil offers a fluid specifiaclly for the Allison trnasmission.

For more info, you can do a search on your truck here. It will list all available fluids and filters for your truck.

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to change the cabin air filter? I was trying to find this in the manual, but found nothing about where to find it to change.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You should also change the fuel filter and inspect the condition of the transfer case and differentials. Grease up the front end and give it a general inspection... make sure you dont need to rotate the tires. That should pretty much get you caught up i think. You could also put the trans in nuetral and give the driveshaft a good wiggle to inspect the u joints.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
X2 on all that stuff HOT said!!! especially checkin the transfer case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
does anyone know where I can find my cabin air filter in my 2007 lbz lt classic? if so how many filters do i need to change?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts