Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short I was doing some work on my truck and broke the bolts off in the turbo and nothing can get them out I then picked up a M48 core to replace the housing when I went to reassemble the housing it will not fit I checked the part numbers on the center section / bearing and they are 2006-2007 LLY LBZ part number but the number on the exhaust housing is just an M someone carefully ground off the 3 after taking the turbo apart and comparing to the core it is clearly a LLY turbo

when I bought the truck over ten years ago it was bone stock (I'm the second owner) what I believe happened is the turbo failed when the truck was close to new I could see evidence of this when I pulled the turbo and because it is technically a 2006 LLY someone messed up and installed the wrong turbo

I'm happy I ended up with the bigger turbo but the truck was never tuned for the bigger turbo before or after I never knew it was there and I simply didn't know the difference I have driven the truck like this for a very long time

my question is this will tuning for the LLY turbo make a huge difference in power / drivability or is it just a bit slower to spool compared to the LBZ turbo or have I been missing out all these years?

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
What is the truck's manufactured date on the driver door decal and you do have a 6spd Allison, yes?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a LBZ for sure and does have a 6spd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts