Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am sure those of you that read the forums religiously have noticed, my new truck is having one minor issues after another, Ive only driven it 10,000 miles since I bought it, and I feel like I am working on it non stop. I just finished up fixing all my other issues and now I have one with the fuel gauge, Ive googled and it seems similar, but not the same as ones other people are having.

I cannot fill my truck up according to the gauge. With the tank lipping full it suddenly thinks its barley over half. I have done this across three tanks of gas now. I thought I was suddenly using gas much faster than normal again, but I had just changed the filter, then today, when I went to fill it up because according to the gauge I was nearly empty, it would only take twelve gallons before it was running over. I tried waiting a while in case the diesel was just foaming up, but its definitely 100% full and the gauge now wont move past five eighths of a tank.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sending unit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide App

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
I would think it was the stepper motor in the cluster...at least I would start there...other than that, it is probably the fuel level sender.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
Try to reflash it with the quad again. I had an issue with My LMM fuel gauge when i flashed it. I reflashed it and it was fine again

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is the sender unit, how much am I looking at to get it replaced?

·
Registered
103 Posts
As I am sure those of you that read the forums religiously have noticed, my new truck is having one minor issues after another, Ive only driven it 10,000 miles since I bought it, and I feel like I am working on it non stop. I just finished up fixing all my other issues and now I have one with the fuel gauge, Ive googled and it seems similar, but not the same as ones other people are having.

I cannot fill my truck up according to the gauge. With the tank lipping full it suddenly thinks its barley over half. I have done this across three tanks of gas now. I thought I was suddenly using gas much faster than normal again, but I had just changed the filter, then today, when I went to fill it up because according to the gauge I was nearly empty, it would only take twelve gallons before it was running over. I tried waiting a while in case the diesel was just foaming up, but its definitely 100% full and the gauge now wont move past five eighths of a tank.
i think your problem is that your putting gas in it :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I tried re flashing it, no change, still cant get a "full tank" or anywhere close. Le sigh.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I would check the actual gauge first. The stepper motors go bad sometimes. If that checks out OK, next place to look is the fuel level sensor in the tank.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I check that, never had to mess with the gauges in anything that new.

·
Registered
587 Posts
find the elec connector at the sendign unit. then take a paper clip and put it in the connector a watch the gauge. if your gauge jumps to full then its the sending unit. if nto then there is a short some where

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
did the previous owner drop the tank ever?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
if its a sending unit its about 400 or so from napa, personally i'd take the bed off to do it less of a pita imo......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts