Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really see a halo, but it all soaked into the towel unlike a drop of fresh from the jug. The oil drops are cold, about 25 degrees right now. Oh, this oil has less than 1,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot the picture

ImageUploadedByAG Free1363708449.390106.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seemed kind of thin and dark for only 1k miles. That is compared to my wife's Toyota that has about the same mileage on the oil.

Brent, I will be giving you a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully I will get a chance to change the oil if this blizzard lets up. Changing it to see the volume in the oil pan.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Diesel oil will go black.
Agree and disagree. It will in older engines but it really shouldn't in a newer engine at only 1,000 miles. My 6.5L will blacken oil within 500 miles but my Duramax has 20k on the oil and is still fairly "clean".

·
Registered
875 Posts
Diesel oil will go black.
Not in a Duramax. The oil in my '01 at 4,000 miles is still brown.

Now in my old 7.3 Powerstroke where oil shear was huge because of the HEUI injection system (used high pressure oil to drive injectors).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Powerstrokes and my old 6.5 Detroit diesel will blacken the oil within the first crank. Duramax is by far the cleanest diesel of its time. To me though, that looks a little light. Does it have a funky diesel smell?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, the darkening and it being a little thin can be indicative of fuel in the oil even though it is not leaving a halo? I got the drops with it cold. Does the paper towel test show better with the truck/oil warmed up?

The history is that about 3 weeks ago I had enough fuel in the oil that it was dripping from the front pan seal when parked on a slight decline.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
So, the darkening and it being a little thin can be indicative of fuel in the oil even though it is not leaving a halo? I got the drops with it cold. Does the paper towel test show better with the truck/oil warmed up?

The history is that about 3 weeks ago I had enough fuel in the oil that it was dripping from the front pan seal when parked on a slight decline.
Did you change the oil after this? What did you do to solve the problem "new injectors"?

To me it looks like really clean oil of almost pure fuel. It is hard to tell.

Here is mine, but I had around 5k miles on the oil when an injector or two decided to let go. When I drained oil oil out I got a whole 5gallons:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts