Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 2022 3500 Denali DRW. I must say it's pretty damm nice. I also live in Alberta, Canada. Where it's winter more than summer. Why can't GM offer or just undercoat these trucks from the factory. Yes, I'm aware of the bees wax on the frame. That doesn't last long on our brutal roads. It would be nice to have the option to have the truck properly undercoated from the factory at a reasonable cost. Nothing looks worse on a fancy looking truck than an undercarriage full of rust. End of rant.

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
152 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2022 3500 Denali DRW. I must say it's pretty damm nice. I also live in Alberta, Canada. Where it's winter more than summer. Why can't GM offer or just undercoat these trucks from the factory. Yes, I'm aware of the bees wax on the frame. That doesn't last long on our brutal roads. It would be nice to have the option to have the truck properly undercoated from the factory at a reasonable cost. Nothing looks worse on a fancy looking truck than an undercarriage full of rust. End of rant.
Get it undercoated and rust checked at the dealer, they offer that service. I had my truck done in Edmonton, I didn’t get the rust check, I will do that myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 2500HD LTZ Z71 Custom Sport Ed, MW7
42 Posts
Most people don't understand the need for it. In the military, the Humvee's had so much on the undercarriage that your hands would be black from it working under there. You could take your nail and scrape across a couple of times before even getting to metal (and have a small ball of it). It was probably the best thing they had going for them because glow plugs always mushroomed and the metering pumps failed often enough. Yet, these things were abused, however. The coatings work quite well if it is applied thick enough. Most I have seen on civilian side are not.
I have heard (don't know if its true ;)) that Chevy's have a better coating than GMC's. Both probably need additional coatings if your up north. Using a wash that has under carriage wash helps too. Use within a day or two of driving on salted roads.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
The frames are dipped into the same tank of wax...so it's identical.

·
Registered
334 Posts
how well does the undercoatng stick when applied to the waxed frame? I am sure they cannot remove it all prior to application.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unless it is a special coating designed to adhere to the under coating, I wouldn't think it would stick or even be worth it. Painting over this coating with typical enamel would probably cause the paint to peel off with little effort if it did stick.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Fluid Film it yourself once a year and you'll probably never have rust issues. Just get it in all the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The frame was has been used for aver 20 years.
Lots of horror stories out there about getting fluid film on the wax.

For wax touch-ups -
Agree, using something else, you would have to remove the original coating to ensure it would adhere. This is a good option.

To add to this if you want your hitch components to be rust free and not lock with rust, use 28A Dry Solid Film DFL-E628-G35-AA2. Sandstrom makes this one, but others out there. Use on all of mine. Lot less messy than anything else. Just apply outside with plenty of circulation as it is toxic. Drys as a paint surface. Have used this in many military and Raytheon type parts. Well worth it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They won't be undercoating the frame rails. As the undercoating won't stick to it. Everything else will be sprayed. A good friend of mine owns a body shop. He says that Ford paints their frames before doing any undercoating. GM doesn't, that's a mistake on GM's part.

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
140 Posts
They won't be undercoating the frame rails. As the undercoating won't stick to it. Everything else will be sprayed. A good friend of mine owns a body shop. He says that Ford paints their frames before doing any undercoating. GM doesn't, that's a mistake on GM's part.
Well that explains why ford frames rust out before they leave the dealership....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts