Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been looking at the Banks stuff and dreaming about getting the whole setup for my truck. At this point, I was just dreaming and talking to him about it while we were working in the garage cleaning up after working on his K10 and the HEEP. So we took some parts back to the parts store and grabbed a sandwich. When we returned back to the house, he grabbed his computer and brought it over to show me an email he received basically with the confirmation number of the Derringer that he ordered me.

Keep in mind that this young man is 16 years old and only works part time on a farm. Yes, he makes good money for the age and job, but he doesn't have to spend it on my truck he still has stuff to do on his. so basically, I am just floored. What a great present and surprise for an early fathers day. He will be on a youth mission trip so he decided to go ahead and tell me about it. I Love this kid. even if he didn't do this, he is a great young man.

So I guess this is my Banks Thread. I have read so many on here and really look forward to getting it installed. I guess I'll be orderig the exhaust and intake this week to finish off the whole package. Stay tuned, I am sure I will have so many questions. I do know that I will be ordering the dash mount from the guy on facebook though.

Thanks for all that ordered early and have so much information. I am still reading, but looking forward to getting this thing installed. Will make a great Father / Son project.

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Always love those moments, you wish some of the credit were yours, but really you are just happy that they are the way they are. Best Father's day gift of all is seeing your son be a man.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't decide to be upset he spent all his money or happy that he thought enough of me to spend all his money... I think he is as excited about it as I am. Although, now I have to spend more money for the intake and exhaust. HAHA

·
Registered
71 Posts
That speaks to your character! You’ve raised a great young man and only a great parent can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That speaks to your character! You’ve raised a great young man and only a great parent can do that.

Thanks for the kind words. He is growing into a great young man. It takes a village, and there are great men that have come along beside him and myself to walk that road to help him grow.

Now, before I get too carried away with just him, there are questions that I have been thinking about for the Banks install. First, where to mount the iDash? I am going to purchase the dash cup that has been shown on here from the guy on facebook. Then there is the issue with our local emission testing that is required for tags. Of course, they plug into the OBDII port to verify. I discussed with Banks, and they said to just unplug, and re-install when finished. Is there anyone that has this issue? How did it work out? My fear is that removing and re-installing might cause the computer to have problems. Is there a piggyback plug that can be installed that will leave a OBDII port open but also have the Banks plugged in?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bill

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I believe but don’t quote me on this. When the derringer loses power it defaults back to stock and everything runs as normal. Seems there is a video on banks website about this when comparing other inline tuning options. All other inline options the vehicle is disabled except for the banks derringer. I love mine by the way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe but don’t quote me on this. When the derringer loses power it defaults back to stock and everything runs as normal. Seems there is a video on banks website about this when comparing other inline tuning options. All other inline options the vehicle is disabled except for the banks derringer. I love mine by the way.

Correct

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the exhaust and intake. Looking at the 5" and the possibly the dry filter. Is that the best setup for our trucks? What are you guys running?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the exhaust and intake. Looking at the 5" and the possibly the dry filter. Is that the best setup for our trucks? What are you guys running?

Thanks,
Bill
Are you just ordering DPF back exhaust? You can't delete with the derringer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I’d buy anything Banks, EXCEPT for their exhaust systems. I installed a full stainless PowerPack system on a ‘97 F350, and it looked like crap from front to back within a year. Fit like a glove; looked like crap. Carbon steel clamps; not even the hood band style. I still have rust spots in my driveway from that truck. I attempted to engage Banks twice via email, with very little response and no resolution.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I ordered the intake and 5" exhaust from Banks. Of course, the intake is on backorder as many have stated on here from before. The exhaust is coming next week. I will get it installed first as we are getting ready for a camping trip and ruin the front of the camper.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I received the Derringer today for Father's Day. However, upon the request of my son, I must wait till he returns to install. I Don't have to wait for the install of the exhaust. I plan on doing that this week whenit arrives. Of course, the intake is on backorder.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went ahead and installed the Banks 5" exhaust last night. Wow, what a difference in size from stock. Getting ready to pull the camper this weekend and really didn't want to melt anything. I swear, just driving around the block last night, I must have gained 50HP and 20 miles per gallon on fuel.

No, not really. Just seems like it has more power, but really cannot tell. I don't drive full throttle most days.

I did have a little issue with the tube in the stock. Had to work it with PB Blaster, loosen it, tighten it, spray, until it came out. May end up ordering that tube to replace it.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I’d buy anything Banks, EXCEPT for their exhaust systems. I installed a full stainless PowerPack system on a ‘97 F350, and it looked like crap from front to back within a year. Fit like a glove; looked like crap. Carbon steel clamps; not even the hood band style. I still have rust spots in my driveway from that truck. I attempted to engage Banks twice via email, with very little response and no resolution.
Customer service over at Banks has definitely changed and improved over the years. If you are still having trouble let me know and I can get you in-contact with some at Banks who will help resolve your issue.

For the OP you can also take a look at the Derringer & iDash Owner groups that were created on FB to ask questions, do some research or get advice. Several Banks employee's are also on there and will help out anytime.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, we finally got everything installed. WOW, it really wakes this truck up. The dead pedal is gone, which is something I hated about my truck.

He helped with the install. Routing wires and helping with handing tools. He joked about each bandtie adding one horsepower and two footpounds of torque. I guess I added about 20 extra horsepower on the install due to them. The fun part is, he is going to drive it tomorrow to work.

Best upgrade on the truck so far. Can't wait to hook to the camper in the coming weeks.

Bill

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So this week has had some issues with the Banks. First, on Thursday, the intake came out of the turbo hose. Initially had some throttle lagging, and then heard a pop and it ran fine, until the codes started. That was an easy fix and cleared the codes. Last night however, I get an error message that the Derringer is not communicating. This in turn caused fuel rail codes, and went into limp mode or reduced power. At this point, I guess I will be chasing these gremlins. Any ideas to help me save some time?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
So this week has had some issues with the Banks. First, on Thursday, the intake came out of the turbo hose. Initially had some throttle lagging, and then heard a pop and it ran fine, until the codes started. That was an easy fix and cleared the codes. Last night however, I get an error message that the Derringer is not communicating. This in turn caused fuel rail codes, and went into limp mode or reduced power. At this point, I guess I will be chasing these gremlins. Any ideas to help me save some time?

Thanks,
Bill
I thought this specifically wasn't suppose to happen.... I'd check wired connection, water intrusion, melted / frayed /chafed wires under the hood...

Clear all codes... w derrigner or buy a cheapo scan tool

Have you updated the Derringer at all?

If you can clear the codes, try disconnecting the derringer and see what happens

1 - 20 of 32 Posts