Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

421 - 440 of 445 Posts

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,717 Posts
Welp

This one has no ground wire at all. We might be going somewhere now.

Got a pic of which one and where from? I see the stud on the hood.
It will go down to a stud just to the inside of the master cylinder on the firewall. The ground cable may still be hanging there, but I know a lot of times they move enough that they break at the eyelet on the hood side, and then get tossed. Pretty easy to make a new one though

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,275 Posts
If you’re chasing ground on the LB7 I doubt the hood ground will affect anything but radio reception and the underpins light. (Think of about antenna as an electrode. It needs a ground plane horizontally

Worth trying though. The LB7 weak spot for grounding is the cluster on the frame right under the drivers foot area. I’d remove that bolt and clean and treat and then reattach and seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
It just drops down from the hood to a stud on the firewall, just to the left of the MC in this pic.

I'll grab a closeup pic of the wire in the sunlight tomorrow.
Tomorrow is today. :grin2:

Braided wire strap. Mines awfully limp at the lower eyelet, I suspect some breakage there....need to pull it, clean it up, solder it, re-tape, etc.

The other black wire on the same post is the ground for the JK LP relay, so I know the post is a good ground.

Don't know why 'dunno; GM thought it needed a big black heat wrap on a ground strap....it just weighs it down and adds to the breakage factor, IMO.

There's a much larger strap you see there below it, with no cover on it all....it attaches to a like post 4" away from the hood strap anchor.

But if ya start looking top to bottom, those straps are everywhere.
So good hunting. 0:)

Attachments

Reactions: lutzjk913

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Long time no post.

Truck is still kicking. Has a couple small issues still but nothing serious.

security light is still on
Ac let go over winter but I think it needs a recharge
Newest issue is the cluster is going bad shit crazy. That gets fixed this weekend though.

quick wash from yesterday and he plans on clay barring and waxing it this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Truck looks great Joe! The cluster - all gauges? Security light? You were having troubles with grounds awhile back - wonder if its related. I've had my cluster rebuilt twice on LLY - stepper motors were going out. After changing the lights to LEDs, I think I would trust my soldering skills now - the stepper motors are cheap. If they're all crazy though its not the motors.

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
Truck looks great Joe! The cluster - all gauges? Security light? You were having troubles with grounds awhile back - wonder if its related. I've had my cluster rebuilt twice on LLY - stepper motors were going out. After changing the lights to LEDs, I think I would trust my soldering skills now - the stepper motors are cheap. If they're all crazy though its not the motors.
it’s only the speedo acting up. I talked to a local guy about rebuilding it and converting to all LED also. 125.00 for it all.

as far as the security lights. It’s the same issue. It’s never been resolved. All this corona bullshit hit and it went on the backburner.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Not bad at all. He'll replace all the stepper motors and LEDs for that - its a deal. And twice it was my speedo that went out - accelerating to highway speed, looked down wanting to set cruise, and i was going 120mph!

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Not bad at all. He'll replace all the stepper motors and LEDs for that - its a deal. And twice it was my speedo that went out - accelerating to highway speed, looked down wanting to set cruise, and i was going 120mph!
mans he said total rebuild is 45 mins to a hour. So I’ll gladly pay that.

that sounds all too familiar

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Getting it rebuilt now

power module is bad in it.

also, this is a refurbished gm cluster. The guy comes out laughing and says well every stepper motor is incorrect and none of the lights match that were inside it.

go figure

·
Registered
18,348 Posts
Getting it rebuilt now

power module is bad in it.

also, this is a refurbished gm cluster. The guy comes out laughing and says well every stepper motor is incorrect and none of the lights match that were inside it.

go figure
Well atleast now everything will be correct in side with LED lighting and should last Tyler a long time.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My tacho and Speedo has gone out probably 4 times since I've had the truck, either goes completely or reads lower that it should be, ie says I'm doing 60kmh but I'm doing 100

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
Tyler picked up a summer job as a electrician and is making pretty decent money. He has some things in mind that he would like to do to his truck. First thing was a Far From Stock stack. He ordered it up last week and we installed it today. Here is the end result

Attachments

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
His truck is looking great 👍🏻

Reactions: lutzjk913

·
Registered
18,348 Posts
Looks great Tyler, now get out there and wash it its dirty! Or leave it for a day or 2 and your dads OCD will take care of it. Lol

Reactions: harnold

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
Looks great Tyler, now get out there and wash it its dirty! Or leave it for a day or 2 and your dads OCD will take care of it. Lol

LOL. Come on mow

his jobsite is all new build “flats” and is a mud hole. It’s clean now compared to what it was.

·
Registered
18,348 Posts
LOL. Come on mow

his jobsite is all new build “flats” and is a mud hole. It’s clean now compared to what it was.
He needs a shitty commuter race car like we have joe! Lol

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
He needs a shitty commuter race car like we have joe! Lol

for sure brother

mine leaves it mark everywhere now with a oil leak. She’s just leaking horsepower though. Lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
Truck looks great! There's just something about a single cab - rarely see them anymore (at least around here). Good to hear he's working - electrician is the best gig in the trades IMO. Tyler going to school for it also?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Truck looks great! There's just something about a single cab - rarely see them anymore (at least around here). Good to hear he's working - electrician is the best gig in the trades IMO. Tyler going to school for it also?
Single cabs are where it's at Dave 👍
Sparkies get it easy compared to plumbers that's for sure 😂

421 - 440 of 445 Posts