Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny fuild is black looking, run fine, shifts fine, no problems what so ever.

I just changed my extrenal filter adn the fuild was just black looking, but it didnt smell burnt.

The truck looks like its been taken care of, by the orginal owner.

Trucks got 143,000 on the clock now, oasis report came back clean.

So im looking at doing the hoot method about change as much of it as i can.
Now the local dealer said they didnt recommand changeing nothing but the one outside filter adn adding what fuild came out.

I guess what im asking who has went to amsoil tranny fuild adn likes it.
Number two im looking at a tranny build ain't I.

·
Vendor
10,957 Posts
First congrats on your new born.

I have a lot of customers on here running AMSOIL Torque Drive. Have it in both my Dmax's as well. This is the same fluid as Castrol Transynd. If you flush your tranny like you are thinking of doing, the drain interval will be 150k miles. If you do a pan drop or drain and fill you will need to do it again in about 50k miles. For a flush you will need to get about 5 gals of fluid. This will give you enough to flush the tranny, service the transfer case and have some for top offs.

If I can help you with fluids or filters, please let me know.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If your fluid is as bad as you say the ONLY option in my mind is do a complete fluid exchange, drop the pan and replace the filter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i play on doing .

·
Registered
136 Posts
what about the old saying that if it has never been changed dont change it cause it will cause problem. Whats the reasoning behind this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have GM sticker on the underside of my hood sayin that the trans/cooling system was flushed @ 210,000, yet my trans fluid looks dark, no burn smell.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i yes you and me are in the same boat, time for both of us to do a complete change.

also i got missed answers for doing a complete flush now, some say the new fuild might bake it start to slip.

also since i am planning on doing the hoot method.

For the ones that have used this method, im guessing everything went ok.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered 5gal of amsoil fuild adn new internal and extrnal allsion filters from mrmanners.

when it comes in and i get time next saturday to do the hoot method ill let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i changed my tranny fuild useing the hoot method, it worked out ok.

i pretty sure i got neally all the old fuild out i over filled it a bit.

Its about half way up the hot line when the tranny is been sitting for a couple of hrs.

Is it ok liek it is or do i need to drain some of the fuild out?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Royal purple?
And about the guy satin never change trans fluid if it hasn't been done before, that is supposedly s thing of the past. Modern fluids/transmissions don't have that issue. Idr the reasons, but that's what I've been told.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Royal purple?
And about the guy satin never change trans fluid if it hasn't been done before, that is supposedly s thing of the past. Modern fluids/transmissions don't have that issue. Idr the reasons, but that's what I've been told.
I would like to know for sure if its true or not as well...ive been told the same thing but still feel uneasy aboit it...my fluid has never been changed (odometer is on 108,000 miles) but i do change the spin on every 10-15,000 and ive been wantin to have the fluid changed ever since i hit 100,000 but im a lil afraid that since ive already gone this long i may be hurtin the tranny if i change it...any suggestions?

·
Vendor
10,957 Posts
Royal purple?
Can you explain this again? I am having trouble figuring out what you are talking about here.

I would like to know for sure if its true or not as well...ive been told the same thing but still feel uneasy aboit it...my fluid has never been changed (odometer is on 108,000 miles) but i do change the spin on every 10-15,000 and ive been wantin to have the fluid changed ever since i hit 100,000 but im a lil afraid that since ive already gone this long i may be hurtin the tranny if i change it...any suggestions?
Is it OEM fluid or has it be changed to transynd or torque drive? If you are OEM fluid with over 100k it should be serviced. Opinions vary on whether to manual flush the tranny or just drain and fill. I have had customers do it both ways with great success. With it being that old, I would say manual flush it like Scott did. Not only will this get the old fluid out but with a flush either Transynd or Torque Drive has a 150k mile drain interval.

All that will be required after a flush is spin on changes and top offs.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Okay thanks for the reply...yeah its the oem fluid, i think ill just drain and refill and change the spin on...i dont see any real need in changing the internal...i plan to get a new torque converter sometime in the future so ill have the internal filter changed when i do that...thanks again for the reply!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Does anybody know if the gm dealership does the hoot method or do they do something different? I figure the dumbasses at my dealership would try to do a regular tranny flush on it but ill b sure to tell tem i ABSOLUTELY do NOT want that done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, I changed my fluid at 100,000 miles and put amsoil and replaced the spin on filter. I have put 34,000 miles on my truck since i changed the filter and fluid. I have had no problems at all by doing this. No slips, no shifting problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
did mine at 105k, new fluid and installed a transgo and never had an issue. puts the power to the ground!

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
what about the old saying that if it has never been changed dont change it cause it will cause problem. Whats the reasoning behind this.
That is for the older transmissions TH400,TH350. The best thing is to keep it changed in the first place.

·
Vendor
10,957 Posts
Okay thanks for the reply...yeah its the oem fluid, i think ill just drain and refill and change the spin on...i dont see any real need in changing the internal...i plan to get a new torque converter sometime in the future so ill have the internal filter changed when i do that...thanks again for the reply!
No problem. If I can help with fluid or filters, please let me know.

Does anybody know if the gm dealership does the hoot method or do they do something different? I figure the dumbasses at my dealership would try to do a regular tranny flush on it but ill b sure to tell tem i ABSOLUTELY do NOT want that done.
They are most likely using a machine to flush it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the dealership aournd here said they will not use a machine to change fuild soemthing to do about teh amount of pressure for the allsion.
I just did mine got everything from mrmanners. I was pretty easy, internal and external filter and filled it back with amsoil.

By the way i said i over filled mine a bit, i just drained some out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts