Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some guideance, I just installed new Michelin LT265/75-16 on my 07 2500HD Dmax... I didn't notice any driving changes around town, however when I ran it up to highway speeds I'm experiencing severe drift. I know that I could have a front end componet worn and the new tires may have made it more prominate. I hoping someone has experience this issue and can save me some inspection time. My truck is a 07 2500HD Crewcab, stock wheels, with 89K miles on it. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
did you change tire sizes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took off some cheap "dealer" tires that they put on to sell it, they were the same size LT265/75-16.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
assuming you got an alignment then?

might wanna check tire PSI and make sure all is good there before throwing parts at it.

might want to compare what you took off and what you put as far as plies and load rating too.

Then just run over the full steering setup looking for faults.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was leaning toward alignment issues, and was hoping someone had this issue and getting it aligned resolved the issue. I haven't checked the alignment since purchasing it at 72K. Tire PSI has been checked. The tire I installed are E rated and 10 ply from Michelin.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
I was leaning toward alignment issues, and was hoping someone had this issue and getting it aligned resolved the issue. I haven't checked the alignment since purchasing it at 72K. Tire PSI has been checked. The tire I installed are E rated and 10 ply from Michelin.
I'd do an alignment with Michelins. Once you get everything squared away with that and balancing, they should go 70k straight easily.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
yep anytime you change something in steering/suspension its always best to get an alignment.

·
Registered
438 Posts
He just changed his tires... are alignments necessary after new tires? I only do alignments if suspension is worked on. Levelling, tie rods, etc... and I pay the 120 for an alignment. God damn I hate taking my truck to a shop for an alignment!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Discount tire hooked me up on the tires, they honored a local comp coupon and allowed me credit on two of my tires. plus a rebate on the Michelins, I dropped the extra coins because of the 70K mileage warrenty. I'm going to get my alignment shop to take a look at it. Even if it doesn't resolve the issue I will at least know its not plowing my tread away.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
heres what your feeling,when you make a slight turn on the wheel it feels like the truck moves another 2 inches! its all a mind game but due to the depth of the new tread it moves very slighty but feels worse then it realy is,after about 500miles of break in it will go away!what you can do in the mean times is air them up to max PSI which should be 80PSI or burn them off a bit!
now to protect your investment please do an alignment plus keep them rotated every 5,000-6,000 miles and keep the PSI where it needs to be!

·
Registered
984 Posts
heres what your feeling,when you make a slight turn on the wheel it feels like the truck moves another 2 inches! its all a mind game but due to the depth of the new tread it moves very slighty but feels worse then it realy is,after about 500miles of break in it will go away!what you can do in the mean times is air them up to max PSI which should be 80PSI or burn them off a bit!
now to protect your investment please do an alignment plus keep them rotated every 5,000-6,000 miles and keep the PSI where it needs to be!

^^^^^ Michellines do that cause of the tread depth. Great tire and they last a long time, but thats one of the things you will get used too after a while

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the michelins as well and have about 3,000 miles on them now running 80 psi and my truck does the same thing and has not stopped. Mine are 10 ply "E" rated as well. Wish my truck would drive better since putting down the dough for these tires.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
flyboy,drop the PSI down to 60PSI in the fronts and 55-60PSI in the rears,if you tow alot you may want a touch more in the rears but the fronts you realy dont need more then 60 and the rears when empty i wouldnt run over 55PSI..

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Just to add a bit..I had the same problem before and it was because my tires were OVER inflated..... what PSI are you actually running right now? I use to run 55 front and 50 back....anything more and it was back to sway mode for me.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I doubt if any of those answers are the problem,when building the tire the first step is to spray a very slippery mold release agent into the mold.This may take up to 1k miles to wear off,after that you will get the true ride out of the tire.You should love those Michelens,good luck.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I doubt if any of those answers are the problem,when building the tire the first step is to spray a very slippery mold release agent into the mold.This may take up to 1k miles to wear off,after that you will get the true ride out of the tire.You should love those Michelens,good luck.
and that will cause a sway??are you sure about that!yes tires do have a sylicone base spray on them but that wont cause them to sway,if that were the case than ALL tires would do that but thats not the case its normaly just tires with deep tread on them!

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
The deep tread on the Revos do the same thing. 80k mile worn OEM shocks don’t help much either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same issue with my BFGs on my car, went away after about 1000 miles. BFGs are a Michelin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an older set of Michelins and they were almost worn bald. I had the sway with them. Rebuilt my front end: idler, pitman, tie rods. Then I put a new set of Michelins on. Same sway. It is driving me crazy. The rattle in the steering and the sway on the highway is making me nuts. I can’t find the problem. It is not tires or tire pressure. Tried all of the above and it is some other component gone bad. I just can’t find it or afford to chase it forever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts