Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i have owned the truck it has mad a weird squeeking noise from the motor. can anyone tell me what it is?? and today when i turned off my truck i found that it was making a weirk clunking noise it seems to be coming from the transfer case any comments

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
The squeek is probally the belt, when a diesel shuts off it stops spining instantly causing all the belt driven stuff wanting to keep turning unlike a gas engine that will make a few turns after you shut it off. THey all make this sound so not to worry!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
its a belt... when a diesel engine stops, it actually rolls backwards and then again forwards all in about 2 seconds. What is happening during this time when the belt squeaks, due to the extremely high compression ratios in diesels and a compressed ignition instead of a spark, when the diesel shuts off it rolls back and fourth to equalize the compression on the cylinders. its no big deal at all and all diesel will do it...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info. my friends psd does not do it so i was kinda unsure

Braxton

1 - 5 of 5 Posts