Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has developed a mysterious noise. I’ve had it to the dealer for an alignment (which they couldn’t do because their rack is ancient) and had it to Les Schwab’s where the alignment actually took place.

The dealer told me is was a lower steering arm bushing. Knowing how dealers work I ask Les Schwab to give it the ol’ shake down too. Schwab narrowed the noise down to the front bumper. I went out and climbed under the truck while the Schwab guy rocked the truck back and forth and sure enough it is making a knocking noise from that general area.

I guess the next plan of a attack will be to climb under there and start putting a wrench to every bolt I can get to. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the truck is rocked side to side or when I drive on my gravel road it goes....clunk clunk or maybe knock knock......

It's crazy annoying. Schwab thinks it's where the bumber connects to the frame rails.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My assumption is those 285 tires are oversized. My 2003 has 245's. On the earlier years the bigger tires will just touch the fender flairs enough to make a "mysterious front end noise". Can't speak for the later body style, but just a suggestion to look at.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
His body style is nearly the same as your 03.

There are a lot of things that clunk, but if you think its a loose bumper then check that first and get back to us.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My assumption is those 285 tires are oversized. My 2003 has 245's. On the earlier years the bigger tires will just touch the fender flairs enough to make a "mysterious front end noise". Can't speak for the later body style, but just a suggestion to look at.
The tires clear with no issues. My 01 5.3L Chev had tire clearence issues so I know what that sounds like. This for sure isn't that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His body style is nearly the same as your 03.

There are a lot of things that clunk, but if you think its a loose bumper then check that first and get back to us.
I'm going to it was late last night so didn't get a chance to wrench on it yet. I'll have it in my shop tonight though that's for sure. I just thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced this.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have a new weird noise too. mine is a whining sound. it comes in and out, i havent heard it in a few weeks but it came back a few days ago and hasnt left yet. it seems to be coming from under the front of the cab but at the same time it sounds to be towards the rear. it goes away when i accelerate or hit the brakes... and only does it when im moving. anyone else?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Smoker, is this a sound you hear in the cab while driving? Ive got a mysterious noise myself that I hear while driving on gravel and concrete paved roads where the joints have risen or fallen. Mine however seems to come up into the steering column and makes a puttering, clunking sound. 3 dealers, 2 independent service shops have looked and driven it but cant find anything wrong? its driving me up the wall... it seems we have the same truck maybe same problem?

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Smoker, is this a sound you hear in the cab while driving? Ive got a mysterious noise myself that I hear while driving on gravel and concrete paved roads where the joints have risen or fallen. Mine however seems to come up into the steering column and makes a puttering, clunking sound. 3 dealers, 2 independent service shops have looked and driven it but cant find anything wrong? its driving me up the wall... it seems we have the same truck maybe same problem?
Your Intermidiate Steering shaft is probably the culprit. There is a TSB out about it.; But since 3 dealers looked at it I cant believe this wouldnt have been their first instict. But mechanics these days arent the brightest, if the Tech II doesnt tell them whats wrong they dont fix it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah that was my initial thought aswell.. I had the shaft replaced with the "newer, updated" shaft in August of 09 and after the install I had no noise. This winter however its gotten worse. And this isnt the usual clunking of the column like how almost all of us have heard where it feels like the wheel might fall into your lap. My local dealer is a POS so Ive gone out of town to have them try to figure out what is going on with no luck. They say the noise they hear is normal with the new shaft. im saying no way cause it didnt use to make this god awful noise.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
The updated shaft is about as good as the updated injectors for the LB7s. Not any better really.

It could be the shaft, it could be shock bushings, heck it could even be the driveshaft needing some grease.

·
Registered
71 Posts
perhaps someone left a tool somewhere and it is banging around?

Put a ladder on my truck and was driving heard a whistling sound Ya well you get it!

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Also another thing to note that may not be related to the issues is BUG GUARDS.

The #1 sound of crackling windsheilds on our trucks.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
he mentioned noise like under the front of cab also....
If in doubt raise the vehicle off the ground,grab the wheel/tire assembly and try to rock it back and forth from 6 to 12 o clock,if there is any play the hubs are gone.........Yes,they do make all kinds of strange noises,and they can hold on for more than a week.Don't try to get every mile or anything,I'm just saying they can go at anytime........

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

i have the exact same problem.. I was told it could of been a bad shock or something...i knew i was getting a lift anywyas so i left it alone...i just got my truck back yesterday and got a 6" pro comp kit installed and its still there...i can feel it in the steering wheel.. no one can find my problem either...i was told it could be my steering colum worn out from using it to get into the truck...witch would make sense...does anyone know about this?:help

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im going to turn my torsion bars down today and see if that helps. They have been cranked for roughly 62k miles and its gotta have effected the shocks in some way that its relaying a sound up through the steering column. Ive literally checked and rechecked everything I can think of so hopefully doing turning em down to just over stock will help...im prayin anyway The dealers Ive taken it to havent been able to find a "faulty" part ie shaft, anything front end related, so who knows. but mxhead you throw my shock theory to the wind

·
Registered
687 Posts
intermediate steering shaft

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 02 3/4 4X4 CC (6.0 liter gas) had an annoying "clunkity clunkity" sound that drove me nuts. Yes I had the stock steering shaft that felt like it was gonna come off when turning but... that sound was actually in my front brakes. I think the pads were knoking around in the callipers cuz it'd stop when I applied the brakes. My soultion to the problem.....I bought an 05 GMC 2500hd 4X4 CC Duramax/Allison :rockin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts