Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start with, I'm new to the whole forum thing so bare with me...

I just got rid og my 04 C4500 kodiak... I had banks 6 gun on it...(Was really alot of power) also had a dynomax muffler... sound ok...

I just bought a 07 2500hd 4x4 crew cab w/6.6 6 speed, (still the classic body)

now I wish i would of found this site with my kodiak, but it was time to step down a notch....

I pull a 40ft fifth wheel toy hauler, around 15k pounds,

now I don't wanna spend to much, but whats some of the best ent. level mods to do...

I don't wanna find myself kicking my own ass... on the side of the road...

can someone help... I know nothing about diesels... & don't wanna be taken again...

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Are you sure its a lly? What is the 8th digit of the vin#? For a primary tow vehical, I would do an 4" exhaust, probally turbo back but if you dont feel good about taking the cat off you can do a cat back but with less egt drop! I would get a mild programer like a Diablo Predator and run a 60 hp tune.

Other things you might want to consider would be a finger stick and a egr blocker, and a open air intake!

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
diesel 101

Are you sure its a lly? What is the 8th digit of the vin#? For a primary tow vehical, I would do an 4" exhaust, probally turbo back but if you dont feel good about taking the cat off you can do a cat back but with less egt drop! I would get a mild programer like a Diablo Predator and run a 60 hp tune.

Other things you might want to consider would be a finger stick and a egr blocker, and a open air intake!

Good luck!:)
ok...
I don't know whay motor i have...
07 6.6 4x4 crew cab long bed 6 speed(classic body style)

I was told the 6speeds can only handle so much... I do drive the truck everyday... (thats why i got rid of the Kodiak)
since its brand new... what can i do to not void factory warr.

If i can do a full turbo back exhaust... I will...
intake...
programmer....

I also wanna level the front out... I'd like to run 33 or 35's

little help.. would be great... thanks...05_lly

·
Registered
1 Posts
I leveled the front of my 06 out and can fit 33's on it. I had to do some minor cutting to the bumer though.....by the way i used the ready lift leveling kit...hope thats helps!

not to thread jack but can someone tell me what a finger stick actually does?
Tthanks

·
3,162 Posts
A finger stick is a small device that wires in to your egr wire harness to prevent a CEL (check engine light) when adding a open exhaust or a egr blocker plate.

Welcome to the site!

·
3,162 Posts
I thought changing the tire size would void the Allison warranty.

Depends on the dealer in most cases but shouldent really hurt anything. Most folks have found that with the stock 245's the spedo is off a bit, runnig 265's will make the spedo closer to being true!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Personally, if you go with a tuner like the Diablosport or Bully Dog I would not even install the finger stick. The tuner can be used to reset the code and the CEL (Check engine light). Also, I have a customer with a 2006 LBZ (thats what you have, an LBZ, I am assuming) and with a turbo back MBRP 4" Dual exhaust and a Diablosport he has only set the CEL 1 time in the last 6 months. Like I said, the tuner will reset and clear it.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
changeing the tire size will void your warranty but most dealers will look the other way.i had a bullydog triple dog on my lbz the extra power was great but i didnt gain any fuel mileage,so i switch to ppe hot and gained 4 miles a gallon.on the exhaust i would defently put on a turbo back exhaust,on my truck i put a 5" silverline stainless steel,sounds awesome

·
Registered
24 Posts
On the EGT blocker, I live in AZ and we have to have our cars smog checked every 2 years. Will this effect the check?
Oh I have an 05 LLY and its got 43k miles... I hear all kinds of mojo on tuners.... WHAT is really a good one????? I hear that the edge is the best fot the LLY but I really wana know with out bias what is a good one? I'm looking for a little HP gain and want to calibrate my speedo cuz I have 35 13.5 18s with a 6" RCD lift. Any help, again try not to be bias.
Thanks for your time!!!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Edge is a good programmer but i don't think you'll gain the fuel mileage,just experience a friend of mine had.i do have a 05 lly dully and i used a ppe programmer and gained 5 mpg stock i got 15.some other mods were 4" dual exhuast and a ppe boost controller.does that anwser your question?p.s. most programmer will recalibrate your speedo.

·
3,162 Posts
best bang for the buck, as far as milage, power and spedo recal. is still the diablo predator programer!! IMO

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
On the EGT blocker, I live in AZ and we have to have our cars smog checked every 2 years. Will this effect the check? I dont want to fail its a pain if i do!

·
Registered
2021 LM2 SLT
62 Posts
Thanks for the web site. I have a Diablo preditor on my LB7. Love the pep. Especially off the line. I really was looking for economy. The DIC says I have an increase in MPG, but in reality it is the same. Next is larger exhaust and air filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts