Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install a Kussmaul Auto Eject receptacle on a 2011 Silverado 3500 with a Duramax. (An Auto Eject receptacle is used on a vehicle with an onboard battery charger and "automatically ejects" the shore line whenever the starter is energized/cranking. It requires +12V to engage the solenoid on the Auto Eject to "kick" the plug out of the receptacle to prevent driving off with the cord still connected.)

I've installed many of these on fire trucks, and it usually isn't a issue. The unit is normally wired to one of the terminals on the starter solenoid that only gets power when the ignition switch is in the "crank/start" position.

However, this truck poses a problem. I've read somewhere that the starter solenoid for the Duramax starter is wired in a way that the switched wire that activates the starter is not positive, but, rather, negative. Is this true?

If so, where would I be able to tap into a source for +12V that gets power only when cranking the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the relay, too, and I don't have a problem doing it. I need to know from someone that has a diagram or something whether or not those wires are negative or positive.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You can get +12 from the fuse of the Diesel ECM in the underhood fuse box, the same one I use for my AirDog, as soon as I remote start, or put the key in the run position, it gets +12

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem with that is the constant +12V in the run position. I can't have that because it would burn up the solenoid in the Auto Eject. It has to be +12V whenever the key is in the "start" position only - just that second that it takes to start the engine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Maybe the starter relay?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts