Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This Sunday will be a very proud day for me whe I take delivery of an 08 Chevy 2500 cc/sb LTZ. I have wanted to get out of my old truck (04 Ram SRT10 heavily modded) and finally sold it last week and found a truck this week.

The truck I am getting is bone stock. I am not looking to boost this thing up to the point of taking it to the track. I did enough of that in the SRT 10 which ran high 11's. I do want a nice SOTP increase over stock. I don't plan on beefing up the tranny at all but would like to know the formula to comfortably push the limits of the stock engine/tranny setup. I can't afford to do everything at once so wondering what order of mods I should do.

Here is what I am thinking:

1. Programmer w/ DPF Delete (don't want to go EFI live route and would rather not have a dash mounted unit)
2. Turbo Back (please recommend size and brand)
3. EGR Delete (how do you do this and what comes in the kit to do it?)
4. Air Intake (is it worth it or needed w/ exhust/programmer?)

Let me know if I am missing any part of the equation or performance part that makes a noticable difference.

Thanks in Advance I will post up pics when I get her!:gearjamin

Registered
Congrats on the truck. As far as exhaust MBRP and diamond eye are both good and affordable and there are vendors on here that can hook you up. On the intake, everybody says to not worry about it until your at 500 horsepower.

- Adam

Registered
I've got a 4" and love it. Performance wise I think a 4" is good to like 700 ish hp. Some just like the sound of the 5" better.

- Adam

Registered
Go with the H&S XRT PRO if you DONT want a dash mounted unit. We really wake the LMM up!

Registered
I got 5inch MBRP and i love it, IMO it drones less than a 4inch, My buddys 4inch is kinda annoying on the highway casue how high pitched it is, my 5inch is a little less casue its more of a rumble, plus a 5inch exhaust just looks sweet :thumb

Wont worry about intake. And EFI live is the best btw, def worth the money. If you want a dash mounted pod look into the Edge insight, CTS or CS (both same just CTS is touch screen and you can hook up a back up camera later if you want), then u can monitor just about anything on your truck and just run an EFI live tune. Def the more expensive route but the differences between EFI live and any canned tuner is just amazing!

BTW, welcome to the fourm and good luck! lets see some pics when you get her

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
right on thanks a bunch guys...does the intake help throttle response or MPH at all or save my $?

Registered
intake won't help you a bit. look into the PPE air box mod to get good performance out of your stocker. I want EFI live, but currently have a super chips. I like that EFI can be configured to how you drive, and can be made to perform smoothly which is my wife's main gripe about driving mine when it is chipped. she hates how touchy the pedal is. I have the 5" mbrp with a muffler. I also did the down pipe. I got more performance increase off the down pipe than the exhaust. it made all the difference in the world!!! DO them both at the same time. it will take you most of a saturday afternoon to complete them both, but well worth it. The sound is incredible on the 5". With the down pipe I do not have that annoying screaming pissed off cat sound either which is a plus!

Registered
Might I ask why you don't wish to go EFI live? It just doesn't make sense..

You have several options you know.. Some of which are the same price if not cheaper than canned tuners..

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Might I ask why you don't wish to go EFI live? It just doesn't make sense..

You have several options you know.. Some of which are the same price if not cheaper than canned tuners..
My initial perception of EFI Live was it was a custom tune for guys going for big numbers where you had to go have your truck dyno tuned for in excess of $1,000 and didn't feel I needed that.

Now I see they have the Spade hand held programmer for a decent price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts