Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m new to the forum already jacked up one post but anyway, been looking at and got to test drive a 2003 single cab gmc duramax. Ran great with but turned over pretty slow but it only took one crank to fire. It’s a 4x4 sle trim with only 86k on the odometer. Guy is asking a pretty good price which kinda scares me, I’m going back tomorrow to check it out and maybe make a deal, but what are some things I should look for before I buy it? Thanks

ps I plan to ask if it still has the original injectors

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check the brake and fuel lines along the frame rails, known to rust out. I had to replace them on my 04 LB-7 and it is a PITA. Also had to replace the Fuel Oil Cooler shortly after changing the Fuel Lines. Brake Rotors also rotted out from low usage. My truck currently has a little over 58,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the brake and fuel lines along the frame rails, known to rust out. I had to replace them on my 04 LB-7 and it is a PITA. Also had to replace the Fuel Oil Cooler shortly after changing the Fuel Lines. Brake Rotors also rotted out from low usage. My truck currently has a little over 58,000 miles on it.
Thanks, I’ll definitely check that out. I noticed the abs light was on too, might be a bad sensor but who knows

·
Registered
8 Posts
ABS sensors are noted for rust jacking. If you can remove the sensors, you just have to remove the built up rust where the sensor mounts to the bearing housing. I did my sensors when I replaced the brake system parts. I placed a plug in the hole to keep the rust from going in the bearing housing, used a small flat file and scraped the rust away, reinstalled the sensors new brake calipers, hoses, rotors etc and have had no problems since. I DIDN'T have any ABS light on so I knew my sensors were good, I just did it as a PM and there was rust build up under all my sensors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Slow crank sound like a bad battery. Two new batteries aren't cheap. With that low of mileage he probably hasn't addressed the transfer case pump rub issue. Could look for fluid leak on passenger side of transfer case. Changing injectors is pricey whether you do it yourself or pay somebody. Other than that they are good trucks if you don't notice any smoke or loping at idle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Slow crank sound like a bad battery. Two new batteries aren't cheap. With that low of mileage he probably hasn't addressed the transfer case pump rub issue. Could look for fluid leak on passenger side of transfer case. Changing injectors is pricey whether you do it yourself or pay somebody. Other than that they are good trucks if you don't notice any smoke or loping at idle.
I am also looking at a 2003, 1-owner, with 133k miles. I have no knowledge of these trucks, as I have only owned Cummins diesel trucks. How can I know if the injectors were changed? Also, what needs to be done to the transfer case pump? The truck is bone stock. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am also looking at a 2003, 1-owner, with 133k miles. I have no knowledge of these trucks, as I have only owned Cummins diesel trucks. How can I know if the injectors were changed? Also, what needs to be done to the transfer case pump? The truck is bone stock. Thanks in advance.
Bad injector signs would be diesel fuel in engine oil, puff of white smoke at cold start up, or white haze or smoke at idle, if engine lopes at idle. There are several ways to repair/prevent the transfer case pump rub. One is replace tail housing with aluminum housing or there is a pump rub kit where you remove the tail housing and install an aluminum ring between the pump and the housing. There are videos on youtube if you search for 2500hd transfer case. I just recently replaced the whole transfer case with a rebuilt one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bad injector signs would be diesel fuel in engine oil, puff of white smoke at cold start up, or white haze or smoke at idle, if engine lopes at idle. There are several ways to repair/prevent the transfer case pump rub. One is replace tail housing with aluminum housing or there is a pump rub kit where you remove the tail housing and install an aluminum ring between the pump and the housing. There are videos on youtube if you search for 2500hd transfer case. I just recently replaced the whole transfer case with a rebuilt one.
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/57/07/61982F60-A4A3-48AB-A687-55C22960B30F/64970766145__297CFE87-701F-44ED-A4FA-2D1933D7F3AD.mov

Can anything be noticed from this start up?

·
Premium Member
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
368 Posts
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/57/07/61982F60-A4A3-48AB-A687-55C22960B30F/64970766145__297CFE87-701F-44ED-A4FA-2D1933D7F3AD.mov

Can anything be noticed from this start up?

Video didn't work.

Most people have the most luck by uploading to youtube first, then dropping a link here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts