Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day coming from Texas to Colorado truck lost power and started shaking. Upon pulling over and lifting the hood oil had been blown out of the dip stick and oil was blown out all over the driver side. Didn’t see any visible holes in the block or any thing. But not sure where the oil came from that was all over the front wheel and all down the side of the truck. The engine would start and run again. However it was deff missing. In fear of doing more damage I had it towed and had some one come pick up. Truck has 122k on it. EFI live, lift pump, inner cooler, intake bridge, cold air, 5” turbo back. I’m hoping it’s not as bad as I think it is. But worst case I really don’t want to put a stock motor back in. What are my options? Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
So the other day coming from Texas to Colorado truck lost power and started shaking. Upon pulling over and lifting the hood oil had been blown out of the dip stick and oil was blown out all over the driver side. Didn’t see any visible holes in the block or any thing. But not sure where the oil came from that was all over the front wheel and all down the side of the truck. The engine would start and run again. However it was deff missing. In fear of doing more damage I had it towed and had some one come pick up. Truck has 122k on it. EFI live, lift pump, inner cooler, intake bridge, cold air, 5” turbo back. I’m hoping it’s not as bad as I think it is. But worst case I really don’t want to put a stock motor back in. What are my options? Any opinions are appreciated.
As much as it sucks to say it sounds like the crankcase was over pressurized and blew the dipstick/ oil out. This is usually a result of a piston getting a hole blown in it from a stuck injector or the piston cracking. Do a compression test and try and pinpoint what cylinder/piston may have went south. Either way it's going to be time to tear it down and replace what's bad or drop in another known good motor.

I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the likely scenario.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As much as it sucks to say it sounds like the crankcase was over pressurized and blew the dipstick/ oil out. This is usually a result of a piston getting a hole blown in it from a stuck injector or the piston cracking. Do a compression test and try and pinpoint what cylinder/piston may have went south. Either way it's going to be time to tear it down and replace what's bad or drop in another known good motor.

I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the likely scenario.
Yea kinda what I was figuring as when I took the filler cap off there a noticeable surge of pressure. And do to where it let go at and the nature of work I do, I will not have time to do any of this by myself. So it’s sitting at a dealership 250 miles from where I live.

I have done some searches for motor replacement but I really don’t want to put an oem motor back in. With the philosophy if it breaks build it better, faster, stronger.

What options are out there?

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Yea kinda what I was figuring as when I took the filler cap off there a noticeable surge of pressure. And do to where it let go at and the nature of work I do, I will not have time to do any of this by myself. So it’s sitting at a dealership 250 miles from where I live.

I have done some searches for motor replacement but I really don’t want to put an oem motor back in. With the philosophy if it breaks build it better, faster, stronger.

Fill out yourru signature in the User CP section above under Tools.

Without knowing what you have it is VERY hard to advise you, isn't it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Fill out yourru signature in the User CP section above under Tools.

Without knowing what you have it is VERY hard to advise you, isn't it?
I thought I was asking pretty general questions, thought it was obvious I had a duramax. But if you really need to know what year and engine to advise. It’s a 2015 uridiam in color, 3500 Denali drw, it has an lml, internals are stock, it has a goose neck, tonneau cover, couple rock chips here and there, the outside tires on the rear are newer than the others, I’ll leave the mods out since I’m sure you read the first post. Oh I’ve put two windshields in it since I bought it. Trying to be through here. Oh and a bird pooped on it once.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Cute.
19 model years produced, 6 different generations of engines, 3 different chassis designs.....yeah, only thing needed is to know it's a Dmax.
Unless it got pooped on twice...that's a deal breaker. :teehee

Seriously though, it does help in building our archives, knowing the version and the related mishap.
It does seem like the LML has endurance issues vs previous/earlier versions.

Reactions: 407driver and J83

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Needs a PC browser I think.
You might try not using the phone app, pull up the browser instead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you cracked a piston

1 - 9 of 9 Posts