Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my '07 2500 it had Firestone air springs on it but I don't believe they were installed correctly, they are not lined up. When I went online to Firestone and I now believe it's the 3500 kit. Could someone with Firestone air springs on a 2500 please measure the distance between the lower air spring pad and the bumper pad welded to the top of the axle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I dont have air bags on my 08 3500 but i do have them on my 64 chevy truck. Being off center it will not hurt them. I use the firestone bags in the front A-arms and they have some pretty good angles when aired out. If it was mine i would center them up though cause it would drive me crazy to look at.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It looks to me like thy might have put the top bracket on backwards. I don't have the same truck so I can't measure them for you. Hope this helps.

Heyyaa

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine have been on a slight angle front to back for 5 years and slill work fine

·
Registered
30 Posts
So when I bought my '07 2500 it had Firestone air springs on it but I don't believe they were installed correctly, they are not lined up. When I went online to Firestone and I now believe it's the 3500 kit. Could someone with Firestone air springs on a 2500 please measure the distance between the lower air spring pad and the bumper pad welded to the top of the axle.

Thanks.

I have an '07 LBZ 2500 with the same Firestone air bags and my lower bracket looks different than yours. My lower bracket only sits about a 1/4" above the OE bump stop pad plus I don't have the clamp around the u-bolts. I have had these air bags on two 2500HD's now and they have worked flawlessly.
If you removed that u-bolt clamp and the hold down clamp, you should be able to slide the lower bracket inwards to line-up with the upper mount. It looks like the hold down clamp may end up on the inside of your shock bracket but shouldn't interfere with the shock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just installed these on my truck and there is a bolt on the lower bracket that bolts the bottom of the air bag to the lower bracket, it should be a 9/16's bolt or an allen wrench depending on who ever put them in decided to use. you can loosen the bolt and let the back line up where it wants to. because on my bracket it's not just a hole big enough for the bolt it's a horizontal slit almost so you are able to line up the bag correctly. but in all honesty the bag is not perfectly straight but it looks to be fine. and if it has worked this long without blowing then i think it'll be fine. just remember to let the air out of the bag if you decide to try this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an '07 LBZ 2500 with the same Firestone air bags and my lower bracket looks different than yours. My lower bracket only sits about a 1/4" above the OE bump stop pad plus I don't have the clamp around the u-bolts. I have had these air bags on two 2500HD's now and they have worked flawlessly.
If you removed that u-bolt clamp and the hold down clamp, you should be able to slide the lower bracket inwards to line-up with the upper mount. It looks like the hold down clamp may end up on the inside of your shock bracket but shouldn't interfere with the shock.
Thanks.

It seems the later kits where set to work on 3/4 or 1 ton. You turn it one way for 3/4 and the other for 1 ton. It seems I have the old style 1 ton only. The 1/4" measurement was what I needed. I'll just modify the one I got to get the 1/4" clearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts