Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a power feed that only works when the engine is running. I need it to control a relay for trailer charging. In the past, I have used an oil pressure switch that closes when the oil pressure rises. It would be easier to tap into a feed in the fuse box, but I don't know which one would work, if any. A voltage sensing device would probably work, but I don't know how to design one.

If a oil pressure switch is the only way, I am concerned about using the oil sensor location. There is very little room, and I would have to extend the switch out using a nipple. I'd hate to have the nipple crack and fail due to engine vibration. My other choice seems to be the allen plug opposite the oil filter on the oil cooler housing. Am I correct that this plug would provide an oil pressure signal? I am assuming there are no springs or whatnot behind it.

Any advice on the above would be great.
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
As far as I know, there is no such wire on the duramax. Anything in the truck that is only allowed to run while the engine is running (heated seats for example) is just told to do so by a databus/computer signal.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but a while back I actually looked into the same thing and searched through all of the schematics but couldnt find anything.

Maybe a trigger off of one of the alternator terminals? Maybe the L terminal will provide power only with the engine running...then you could trigger a relay with that?

:confused:

ben

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
cool! thanks for the DIY article. :thumb:

ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts