Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time poster here. I'm a happy 2006 GMC Savana 3500 4x4 Van w/Duramax LLY motor. I broke down 300 miles away from home yesterday hence this post. Need some advice or ideas here. Long post sorry.

Brief rundown. I bought this truck new, it's got 60k miles on it. Approx 1000 miles into it the egr valve went bad and required 3 days in the shop during which the top of the engine was taken apart by the GMC dealer. Approx a month after this repair I started having intermittent trouble codes show in the computer which threw CEL on and other lights. What it would do is on rainy days it would shoot different codes. Sometimes it would be tranny codes, sometimes low coolant level, sometimes the security light, abs, reduced power, dash lights go out, just all around wierd stuff. It did it very infrequently...sometimes it would not store the codes even if I drove right to the dealer when they restarted the truck the lights would be reset, or it would clear by itself. The dealer reflashed the ecm once to try and cure the problem but it took 6 months for it to happen again. Still same stuff 5 years later and it's driving me crazy. It happens so infrequent and resets itself that it's a pain because you can never verify it when it happens unless the light gets stuck on.

Fast forward to two days ago...I left for a trip to Maine in early am, 1 mile from house I saw a very brief flash of a amber light on the r side of the cluster. It went right out. It perked me up. I stopped the truck at my shop 3 miles away and went inside, when I came out 10 min later and restarted it gave a instant Security lite. I shut it down and restarted and got the same security light. My code reader was at home...big mistake. It was running fine so I decided to push ahead as this has happened before and always reset itself. I drove 300 miles it never reset, stopped the truck and worked all day. Got in the truck at the end of the day and got CEL instantly. No power. Felt like I had a 6" sponge under my foot on the gas pedal. I wouldn't drive for beans. no power at all. It would throttle out in first gear and not shift. If I released the pedal it would violently shift up. Then spongy pedal again continuing like this til I got to 40 mph. Made it to motel for the night it was getting late. Found car dealer across street that had a mini code reader. Read out turbo errors, and the guy said it gave out codes his thing wouldn't recognize. I asked him to reset the codes and he said he did, still CEL and spongy pedal. Parked it at the motel and disconnected front and rear batteries. No change the cel was out then came on about 2 seconds later. I drove it briefly and noted additional strange lights. 1/2 tank of fuel and the low fuel light came on, my am/fm shut off...then it turned on and the low fuel light went out. Voltmeter only went to 0 on the pin briefly and returned. All other gauges stayed as normal, truck was running at this time.

I had a crane job yesterday I had to be on, so I made it there limping, parked for day, checked body grounds etc per advice of mechanic. Fine, looked at everything with a dvm and the body ground from the front battery was good. Did not check the rear. Started it several times during the day hoping it was going to reset. Did not.

Limped about 50 miles to a tire store, they read codes P0299, P0106, P003A, P0698 and some stored codes. They reset/cleared on a snapon reader and it threw a check engine light again with a low voltage 5v circuit. Mechanic said there was a tsb on this for a wire that rubbed the doghouse...pulled the doghouse and left loose, drove the rest of the 250 miles to the mechanic with it open and never reset (mechanic said the wire was rubbing but didn't break the insulation)

He verified low voltage on the 5v line, and started troubleshooting by disconnecting sensors on the line-got to the turbo vane position sensor...pulled it and the 5v returned on the line, he started it after clearing codes and it ran without spitting a cel again and he said the gas pedal had plenty of power and he could hear the turbo spool up and down...the turbo was I believe completely dead on the ride home-If I pushed on the gas too much it would falter down in speed and not want to drive. ( I did hills at 40mpg on the way home with a top speed of 62 on the flats)

So here's my quandry...Given that he disconnected the sensor and the 5v came back, it says to me the module connected to the sensor is shorted. From what I can find there is 3 leads to this, 5v, gnd, signal to the computer. So the 5v lead is somehow shorted to ground after all these other weird things happen in one day. Kinda doesn't make sense.

Dealer says their code reader can command the turbo vanes to move and read the sensor voltage as it moves, Great it's getting put back together partially and going to them tomorrow as my reg mechanic can't do this..ugh.

It sounds to me more like a connector didn't get replugged right or got damaged from probing back when the egr valve was done....or a wire harness is chafed somewhere.....why else would a 5v lead off the ecm have an effect on the radio? Does anyone know if the passlock system connects to the radio and cluster, maybe it runs on the same line??

Truck also has a remote starter and alarm in this...which is covered by lifetime warranty and wasn't working last winter-it would not keep truck running....that is the only other thing ever done majorly to the truck besides brakes, lower radiator hose, ujoints, and misc small stuff.

$700 part non returnable....plus labor..

thoughts or ideas?

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
I had the same thing occur on my ’07 with fewer than 15k miles. Every time the Dealer checked it, nothing was found. I thought it might have been fuel/filter related, and it went away. Fast forward 40k miles and it came back strong again…vane pos sensor, covered under the emissions warranty for free. At 60k miles, you're still covered.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done alot of reading on this online-wasted a whole afternoon yikes. Alot on the forums. Truck is unfortunately I believe beyond the warranty time period not the miles but they don't cover the sensor anyway at that point. Just the powertrain major parts.

I'm wondering what this module draws...if it draws like an amp or two it's possible there is a corroded connection or shorting wire downline somewhere that is not able to pass the current...I've seen this before in the mobile electronics business that people put wires under rugs etc and get punctured with a rock under the mat...corrodes in the winter when you have snow on your boots...breaks enough of a connection that reading on a voltmeter will show low voltage.. Might explain all the other weird happenings?

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Truck is unfortunately I believe beyond the warranty time period not the miles but they don't cover the sensor anyway at that point. Just the powertrain major parts.
3 warranties involved on your truck;

Bumper to bumper 36k/36mo,

100k mile engine warranty, and

the Emissions warranty (50-80k miles, depending on locale)
…certain items covered under this have an extended warranty on them to 70k(?) miles….it’s a covered item, I just had it done not too long ago. The wiring to the warranted item is also covered…it’s worth a shot for a Dealer inquiry for the buck$ involved.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well interesting. I will ask the dealer about this tomorrow. Man if this whole thing turned out to be just one thing I'd dance a Swedish jig. Not usually how my luck goes :) Tnx

nice avatar :)

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Just somethin' 'bout Hot Patriotic Babes with Heavy Weaponry that's hard to resist. :rockkin

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got the patriotic. My buddy did this for me. All by hand 29 coats of paint. Only 48 stars sorry :)

Ghost flames on the back of the hood. This was an old pic before I upped the tires 2 sizes LOL

Always had a flag on every vehicle I've ever owned...this one just got big :D

It really is a head turner going down the road.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Looks about the same today. Has a custom stainless roof rack, front receiver switchable between a winch and a rod rack...

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Wow, good looking van! Good luck on the dealer.

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
4wd Dmax Van....Sweet! :diesellove

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tnx guys glad you like it. Put alot into it for sure and waited a long time. I had a 2001 Quigley also but it had the 8.1 gas motor in it. I waited a LONG time for this truck...wanted a diesel from the start.

I'll see if I have a picture around of what it looks like now...if you like those pics then you'll love how it looks now :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it to the dealer today, called just before they closed and they hadn't looked at it yet so it sits for the weekend.

Be interesting to see where it ends up. It is out of warranty, it has coverage on "select emmissions components only" now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well I got the van back today $902 to change the vps sensor. Dealer said it was shorted. Said when he pulled the module and swapped a new one in there it solved the problem.

11 miles away it threw a abs light and a security light. Stayed on. Shut the truck off...they went out.

Yea it's fixed alright. Now I really find it hard to believe this sensor went bad on the exact same day that the entire ecm system started messing up as it always does for the last 5 years.

FWIW I am an electronics technician by trade. I put the sensor on the bench and there are no shorts on any of the pins to any other pins. There are 2 pins that have 2k ohms across them. I'm going to see if I can find the +5 pinout and ground and hook it up on the bench. I can look at the signal output on an oscilloscope and see exactly what it's doing.

It's not shorted though. Back to square one. Cept this time the dealer knows I'm not a happy camper and I called gm today too in an effort to get the district manager involved. If I have to I'll go over his/her head too. They say a phone call in 24 hours or less.

Svc manager said they called 5 times and sent an email to the "area rep" and the guy never called back. I'm told this is different than the district manager. We'll see. Kinda shows how much they want the business huh? 7 gm vehicles I counted last night.

Truck didn't seem to have the "get up and go" it had before when I drove it today.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GM called today and apologized, said I should not have been charged for the repair given the history of the truck and codes. They are going to re-imburse me. So that means the dealer gets to keep their money and GM is going to eat it?

Field rep is supposed to call Friday to schedule this in for service so he can look at it too. I might finally get my truck fixed once and for all!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
That is good news-- glad that GM helped you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i would like to see how all this turns out

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Me too. Interesting GM has someone on these forums. That's good though if the intent is to gather information and make a better product. Bad if it's cya mode. :drink

i would like to see how all this turns out

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I said I'd update...here you go.

Friday came and went with no call from back from GM as promised. As did Monday and most of today.

This morning I left to go to Maine again and same stuff started all over. ABS light then security light on constantly. Stopped the truck and shut it down, restarted and lights were out...for 10 seconds anyways...

I knew I should have driven directly to the dealer...It was horrible rain this morning, decided since they weren't going to be open for another hour I'd keep going as I had appointments to keep there.

Mistake. I got 48 miles and it totally crapped out. I was in slow moving traffic on the interstate and it started surging up and down and engine was uncontrollable. Dashboard went BASERK. All guages but voltmeter were dead. Then the voltmeter died too and so did the am/fm. I pulled into the breakdown lane with all the lights on. It idled fine but didn't want any pressure on the gas pedal or it would surge and engine sounded aweful.

Got it off the highway and shut it down, restarted 3 times with different results. Limped back to dealer and they got to see all the idiot lights lit up and what it was doing. Didn't shut truck off and they read on the code scanner and it was all communication codes, Maf sensor code like last week, abs error, security, battery light now on the dash all the time.

Now I've lost 2 days of work again this week right off the bat. UGH. That don't put food on my kids plates.

I sure hope that GM steps up with them on this thing. Pretty disappointed to spend $58k on a truck plus and have this issue all the time. BTW so much for the vps sensor being bad it threw same/similar dtc this week as it did last week.

GM did call the dealer and now they're playing round and round with whose responsible for giving me credit for this sensor thing last week as they said. Dealer now says if it's up to them it will be about a month. Wondering if I should just call my cc company and stop payment on the charge. They would get whacked a nasty cc chargeback fee though if I did that and wouldn't want anyone to have this. Maybe I'm too nice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts