Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
You sure you drove a Toyota? While you don't get the big incentives to feel like you're getting a great deal, like Chevy and Ford give. Their prices for new trucks are actually very good. They do definitely lack in technology on their trucks though. Not sure how interior design sucks, other than too much leg room in the crewmax? No running boards, really? I could go to a Chevy lot and test drive a truck with and without running boards, just like I could a Toyota... CMON MAN.

Before I bought my Tundra I actually test drove all of the 1/2 tons. Toyota was the best, followed very closely by ford, then dodge, then Chevy. The Chevy had no get up, back seat cushion came off the frame when I went to lift it up, and was 5k more than the Toyota, after a 10k rebate. (Equal trim level of course). Let's not forget resale value. All of the big 3 resale fall off the face of the earth as soon as you drive it off the lot, not Toyota.

I've got no issues pointing out legitimate problems with other vehicles, but let's be honest about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We went to test drive a Crewmax Platinum... a Platinum.. Was told it's their "top end loaded model".. so yes, no running boards for someone like my dad is pathetic.. esp on a 50K vechicle. For him.. that would be another 500-600 out of pocket plus install. And if you go to a chevy/gm dealer and drive a denali or loaded model.. you would have running boards.. CMON MAN. And yes.. on a Crewmax the bed is shorter. by 1 FOOT.. some people actually use their truck beds and even an extra FOOT makes all the difference in the world. God knows I hate Fords, but his ford has just as much rear cab leg room as a crewmax with a bigger bed and more power with better gas mileage... again, I hate Fords so it should tell you something that I'm saying this. Not to mention we also test drove a new Titan.. Titan at 44K was loaded to the hilt with every option under the sun and a 5 year 110,000 mile bumper to bumper.. still a better deal than a Tundra.

Problem is.. you have a Tundra.. so you will defend it because you liked it better and bought one. That's fine.. but they do lack technology.. a megacabs rear is much nicer, and a 1 foot shorter bed sucks. If it works for you great, but sitting in a platinum tundra felt like a downgrade over the Titan and Ford.. just being 100% honest here.. and I wasn't the only person who felt that way. The ONLY defense the Toyota sellsman had was "we know other trucks are more ahead of the curve, but we have a better resale" Seems to be the Toyota motto. My Sienna minivan was nicer than the Tundra...

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I just read one of the trade rags on the Ford vs GM and the reviews were not favorable on the 2018 Duramax. GM is really turning around it's business but its fair to say that all of the trucks have strong points and weaknesses. My original comment on Toyota coming into the 2500/3500 space is driven by their customer service and their culture of standing behind their product. Even if they didn't deliver a bullseye product, it would serve us all (consumers) that there would be a player in the market not pulling the BS that Ford and GM are with things like CP4 failures, DEF failures, etc. I really wish Toyota would have gone forward with their plans in '07 to build the plant in San Antonio. A friend of mine swears by his idea that the US Gov got involved to stop it from happening out of fear of it tanking the Big Three. At this point, I think they saw '08 coming and coupled with the DEF mandate, and with EGR's, I think they made a good self preservation move. Don't know if this still holds true, but I am told that the US is still the only EGR mandated country on the planet. That combined with the DEF really makes the US product unreliable and expensive for the consumer to buy and operate and for the MFR to warranty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We went to test drive a Crewmax Platinum... a Platinum.. Was told it's their "top end loaded model".. so yes, no running boards for someone like my dad is pathetic.. esp on a 50K vechicle. For him.. that would be another 500-600 out of pocket plus install. And if you go to a chevy/gm dealer and drive a denali or loaded model.. you would have running boards.. CMON MAN. And yes.. on a Crewmax the bed is shorter. by 1 FOOT.. some people actually use their truck beds and even an extra FOOT makes all the difference in the world. God knows I hate Fords, but his ford has just as much rear cab leg room as a crewmax with a bigger bed and more power with better gas mileage... again, I hate Fords so it should tell you something that I'm saying this. Not to mention we also test drove a new Titan.. Titan at 44K was loaded to the hilt with every option under the sun and a 5 year 110,000 mile bumper to bumper.. still a better deal than a Tundra.

Problem is.. you have a Tundra.. so you will defend it because you liked it better and bought one. That's fine.. but they do lack technology.. a megacabs rear is much nicer, and a 1 foot shorter bed sucks. If it works for you great, but sitting in a platinum tundra felt like a downgrade over the Titan and Ford.. just being 100% honest here.. and I wasn't the only person who felt that way. The ONLY defense the Toyota sellsman had was "we know other trucks are more ahead of the curve, but we have a better resale" Seems to be the Toyota motto. My Sienna minivan was nicer than the Tundra...

I don't have a Tundra, I have a Crewcab dually Silverado. I had a Toyota, I've already mentioned in this thread why I sold it. Mice were constantly getting in the cabin on a 2016 truck. Like I said, I have no problems knocking a vehicle with actual issues.

The shorter bed sucks, however I still used it many times as a truck. Did it take more time to secure stuff than it does my 8 foot bed, for sure.

Here's the kicker for the Tundra, you can knock it all you want, but show me a GM, ford, Nissan, or dodge truck that had 1 million miles with only routine maint and minor repairs, that was used as a truck.

Notice they can't even give away those new Nissan's. You can get one for 44k after incentives, if you buy it at sticker you're paying closer to 60k.

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
I don't have a Tundra, I have a Crewcab dually Silverado. I had a Toyota, I've already mentioned in this thread why I sold it. Mice were constantly getting in the cabin on a 2016 truck. Like I said, I have no problems knocking a vehicle with actual issues.

The shorter bed sucks, however I still used it many times as a truck. Did it take more time to secure stuff than it does my 8 foot bed, for sure.

Here's the kicker for the Tundra, you can knock it all you want, but show me a GM, ford, Nissan, or dodge truck that had 1 million miles with only routine maint and minor repairs, that was used as a truck.

Notice they can't even give away those new Nissan's. You can get one for 44k after incentives, if you buy it at sticker you're paying closer to 60k.

I'll end this debate. No truck is superior to another, and none of them are just plain horrible. They all have their place for different people. I have a friend for every make/model, they all love theirs for different reasons. My old man buys his with all options, I buy mine bare so I can add aftermarket everything. Different strokes for different folks. My cousin even loves his purple ridgeline.. (not sure it classifies as a truck though)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Awww! It's over already? Dang............

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I'll end this debate. No truck is superior to another, and none of them are just plain horrible. They all have their place for different people. I have a friend for every make/model, they all love theirs for different reasons. My old man buys his with all options, I buy mine bare so I can add aftermarket everything. Different strokes for different folks. My cousin even loves his purple ridgeline.. (not sure it classifies as a truck though)
Every truck being sold has a customer. It seems pathetic that Ram can't put a good suspension under their truck. It is even worse that after all of the problems Ford still cant put a good engine in their truck. GM has their problems too but at least they seem to do something about them.

For some reason the Japanese just don't get it. What they offer in the US isn't what people on this forum like, though they have interesting trucks elsewhere in the world. Why on earth didn't Toyota offer the Hilux diesel here when they had it everywhere else in the world?

If you absolutely have to have some doodah that only one manufacturer offers then your choice is simple. Otherwise it is a matter of accepting what ever weakness your truck comes with and dealing with it. None of them are perfect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Toyota has always been behind the curve with some technology, but generally speaking when they do push that technology out it works. Toyota is known for their reliability and if they did ever get into the 3/4 and 1 ton truck market you can bet lots of people would buy them. I don't think they will because that's just not how Toyota operates in the US.

Ford, current truck in 3/4 or 1 ton is a very nice truck and has all the creature comforts you could want. They do have known glitches/issues with their ABS system that forces the truck into limp mode essentially. Motor wise the current 6.7 power stroke is a monster and is considered to be reliable. My personal experience from owning two 6.7 super duty trucks mirrors what I'm saying here. You can delete emissions and tune the 6.7 powerstroke.

GM, current trucks are behind the curve in technology and cab comfort. The l5p is a monster but its still a bit early to call it reliable, give it another couple of years. I've owned two denali HDs, one was 3/4 other was a 1 ton both had LMLs, both of those trucks were rock solid other than a steering play issue in the 2016 1 ton I had, which was fixed with some Loctite.

Ram, current trucks are up to date on technology and cab comfort is good but behind Ford IMO. Their engine is reliable, their emissions is unreliable, their technology has a history of glitches and problems. Father owned a 2015 Ram 2500 and lets just say it was in the shop for various things that never got resolved.

None of the trucks are really superior to each other, but some do have a better history of reliability. As of today, the Ford will be the most reliable and have the best creature comforts. Come this time next year, I'd be willing to bet that GM will be on par or better than Ford.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Toyota has always been behind the curve with some technology, but generally speaking when they do push that technology out it works. Toyota is known for their reliability and if they did ever get into the 3/4 and 1 ton truck market you can bet lots of people would buy them. I don't think they will because that's just not how Toyota operates in the US.

Ford, current truck in 3/4 or 1 ton is a very nice truck and has all the creature comforts you could want. They do have known glitches/issues with their ABS system that forces the truck into limp mode essentially. Motor wise the current 6.7 power stroke is a monster and is considered to be reliable. My personal experience from owning two 6.7 super duty trucks mirrors what I'm saying here. You can delete emissions and tune the 6.7 powerstroke.

GM, current trucks are behind the curve in technology and cab comfort. The l5p is a monster but its still a bit early to call it reliable, give it another couple of years. I've owned two denali HDs, one was 3/4 other was a 1 ton both had LMLs, both of those trucks were rock solid other than a steering play issue in the 2016 1 ton I had, which was fixed with some Loctite.

Ram, current trucks are up to date on technology and cab comfort is good but behind Ford IMO. Their engine is reliable, their emissions is unreliable, their technology has a history of glitches and problems. Father owned a 2015 Ram 2500 and lets just say it was in the shop for various things that never got resolved.

None of the trucks are really superior to each other, but some do have a better history of reliability. As of today, the Ford will be the most reliable and have the best creature comforts. Come this time next year, I'd be willing to bet that GM will be on par or better than Ford.
STRONG bump......

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am a Ford guy, in a Chevy truck. That said- I do not know of one 6.7 in my friends and family that has had any issues. That is from 2012 and newer, except one did have an emissions system issue.

The Ford is a great truck, but so is the duramax. Price would most likely be my deciding factor if I was shopping
I’m in the same boat. The Ford 6.7 is bullet proof and proven but I decided to go with GM due to pricing and knowing these are great trucks too. Ford would not deal much with me even on 18’s so ended up saving almost 10k on similar trucks. My GMC got very aggressive and knocked of 12k off the sticker of a 18 without blinking a eye. Plus the interior is very nice which I actually liked better than the super duty. Both are great trucks though. I think GM makes a better daily driver due to its smaller size and comfort but the Ford definitely offers better utility due to its design. Just depends on what someone likes.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Just brought home 2017 Silverado Crew Cab HD LTZ Z71, SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!! anyway, I'm blown away how fast and quiet, this drivetrain is pretty impressive, as I start modding I'll post....I'm a Mopar finatic, however, this truck has it over the Ram....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this sarcasm?

Ride is great and more than enough power is always there when you need it. No dead peddle like on the LML.
bout that LML dead peddle ive had that problem till i got my truck tuned and never had the dead peddle issue ever agin and from a dead stop at a light it responds really quickly now when i punch down the throttle soon light turns green

·
Registered
269 Posts
The Ford is a stout platform, and I wrestled with this before buying my Duramax- although I bought the less powerful '16. My brother in-law picked up a '17 F350 Lariat Diesel- loaded- this past weekend. It is a nice truck for sure, but the interior styling feels 'bulky' to me and was not to my liking. I think the grill and headlights are horrendous especially with the myriad of LEDs on the Lariat- but that's not my thing either. The body doesn't have as nice lines as the GM product and looks more like a work truck.

The latest iteration of the Powerstroke is a beast and proven to be reliable to this point. The solid axle suspension is more robust out of the box and easier to lift albeit at a similar cost for similar quality suspension system. The Ford is a good truck without question.

FYI- this is from a guy who owns two Early Ford Broncos, has always driven a Ford truck and just got out of an F250 to jump into the Duramax...

The reason I went with the '16 D-Max... proven platform, I didn't need the 150+ more torque by any of the big three and of all the trucks, the GM styling (inside and out) was just nicer in my opinion (I went with the High Country). The year end and leftover model discounts were also a nice incentive. GM has come a long way- prior to the 15/16 model years, I was not a fan of GMs styling with exception of the Tahoes (my wife is on her third). Being an engineer and having worked in the suspension industry at one time, I have never been a big fan of the IFS- with some mods it will work for my needs.

The unproven nature of the L5P is the only concern I would have... but I would probably stay with the GM product (either GMC or Chevy) on the '17 designs. Good luck either way.

I know this is a old thread but Holy Cow this is me. My thoughts exactly. Wow that’s creepy. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
well I always was a Cummins man but cant stand Dodge anymore, have rebuilt Cummins a Ford and dont like the way they make their Diesels my two cents, plus they are completely redesigning the engine for 2020

·
Registered
269 Posts
well I always was a Cummins man but cant stand Dodge anymore, have rebuilt Cummins a Ford and dont like the way they make their Diesels my two cents, plus they are completely redesigning the engine for 2020

Ford is not changing their 6.7 diesel in 2020 but they do have a new gas engine coming out. They will stay with the same 6.7 diesel but provide a slight bump in hp and torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
The company's legendary Power Stroke diesel engine is also significantly overhauled for 2020, with the 6.7-liter V-8 adding an upgraded fuel-injection system that is said to optimize combustion and control noise levels. Other meaningful enhancements include a redesigned turbocharger and stronger internal components for more horsepower and torque than the previous diesel engine, which developed 450 horsepower and 935 lb-ft. While that torque rating is already higher than the Duramax diesel (910 lb-ft) that is available on the heavy-duty Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, the all-new Cummins diesel found in the Ram 3500 makes up to 1000 lb-ft of torque. Based on recent history, we expect Ford to exceed that number.

All three Super Duty engines will be available with the new 10-speed automatic transmission, which replaces the current six-speed automatic. Ford says this heavy-duty trans has a wider gear-ratio span than the old six-speed and is only 3.5 pounds heavier while not taking up any more space under the truck. Unlike the 10-speed autos found in the F-150, this version gets a power takeoff, often referred to as a PTO, that can power accessories including job-site generators, snowplows, and salt sp

101 - 116 of 116 Posts