Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Need help ASAP, got an oil leak.....

13K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  five_w_coupe 
#1 ·
Ive always taken pride in how clean and oil free my motor and trans are. Not a bit of seapage anywhere and it looks like a 10,000 mile motor. Although its got 190k on it.

Well I was changing the trans filters and fluid today and noticed a pretty good oil leak from the front of the engine. There are oil droplets all over the front suspention and front of the oil pan. Just a few days ago everything under there was spotless, so this has happened in the last 100 miles. My first thought being an oil leak from the lower front of the engine would be the crank seal. Its wet on both the left and right of the ballancer, but not dripping right below the the ballancer, which is throwing me off. Could there be something else leaking oil from that area of the motor? Or is it just the front main leaking?

I find it odd to have a leak like this just pop up within the last 100 miles. I use my truck for work and cant afford downtime so PLEASE help me figure this out ASAP......

#3 ·
Its nice black engine oil. Its wet from the front around the crank back. What I find odd is its not dripping straight down, mostly out to the sides?

I'll go take pics right quick.

#4 ·
pics of the leak.

Attachments

#7 ·
No not really.

#8 ·
Bump,

I really need some insight on this issue. I am supposed to drive nearly 600 miles tomorrow, but am sketchy with this leak....

#9 ·
Why not clean the oil off and also check the oil level. (Many times, when I am cleaning the oil off a potential leak, I find the source.) Then, go on the trip. Check the oil level frequently. If the leak is bad, you should see the oil level go down. If the oil level does not go down, then maybe something else is leaking (e.g. anti-freeze on top a slight oil film can look a lot like just oil, when it first happens.) Anti-freeze would suggest a water pump seal seeping.

#10 ·
Those pics are after I used a can of engine brite and cleaned it all spotless and went on a 4 mile drive. All the oil in the pics is after only 4 miles. I'm possitive its not coolant bacause I just have water and purple ice in there. No dexcool. Plus there seems to be more wetness to the passenger side of the crank, my power steering still shows full, and the power steering isnt leaking.

Did I just somehow tear the front main seal? I've never seen one start leaking from nothing to that much oil in 4 miles????

#13 ·
How does the water pump have anything to do with oil? Its belt driven and just pumps water right? Or is it gear driven? I really dont know too much about the Dmax internaly.

#15 ·
water pump is gear driven. I would think if it was the pump you would have coolant in your oil, but I don't know for sure. It could be coming out your blowby tube on the passenger's side. I have a similar issue. Dealer needs to replace my balancer. They will change the crank seal if it is leaking once they get the balancer off.

#16 ·
The water pump is gear driven, no timing chain or belt in the Duramax. I would say it looks like the main seal or pan gasket. Also, make sure your crank vent isn't blocked. That could be causing the crank to get pressurized and that will force oil out anywhere it can go. Saw that once on a Mitsu Evo X.

#19 ·
It ended up being a bad o-ring on the filler tube that was leaking out. I guess those gears really sling oil.

I replaced the o-ring when I pulled the centrifuge off and its clean since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.