Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a leveling kit (not sure of brand) put on truck before i drove it off the lot and 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers installed.....I think the tires look way too short...and the terra grapplers have sucked in the mud as they don't clean themselves well at all so i'm looking for taller and not necessarily as wide

I've read 100 posts on here trying to find the size that will look best and not require a suspension lift while still giving me added height, it seems i have a mile of space above the tire (fender height of 41.75") and i have plenty in front as I have a ranch hand legend full replacement and thus removed all the plastic junk from front and about a foot of the plastic fender liner.

I intend to keep the factory 20's but wouldn't be against going down to an 18 if it would help me out.....i know nothing about offsets and backspacing

Any recommendations on size/brand would be great keeping in mind that mileage (not mpg) and mud terrain are the most important to me. (I average 40k+ miles/year)

Thanks

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :D

I sell tires and its hard to find a more agressive tire that gets decent mileage. I looked and the only option I see is a goodyear wrangler duratrac or mickey thompson makes nice mud tires as well. I dont know anyone that runs the mickeys but a friend of mine works for a local power company and all they run is the duratracs.. Id recommend looking ar tirerack.com and our site sponsor Discount Tire, Custom Wheels, Truck & Car Rims | Discount Tire for ideas.. Also, DO NOT get falkens.

My recommendation is the goodyears :drink

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am looking for a size also.....the 305/55/20s are just too short

i have been happy with the terra grapplers as to mileage as they're done now but have 43k on them (more than any single set on my 04 lbz)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm thinking the 295/75/18s in the nitto trail grappler and ditching the factory 20s........anyone have opinions on that tire?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC 2500HD AT4 on 37s
196 Posts
You will fit more tire with your stock wheels because of the offset. Also the wider the tire the more its gonna rub. Have you thought about a 275 65 20? In inches that's a 34x11-20. I just ordered a set in that size. As far as a long lasting m/t check out procomp extreme a/t or their extreme m/t i had good luck with both

·
Registered
17 Posts
I run 290/60R20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on factory 20" wheels. My truck is stock besides some fender well trimming and front bumper.

I have a set of 290/65R20 Trail Grapolers ordered to replace my other tires. Just waiting in a rain to have time to get them mounted up. I'm hoping to not have to change my UCA's but I may.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would put 285-65-20 TAKOs on my truck if I had 20s. 34.7" overall. They look nice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well...don't go with the 275 65 20s. They are way to narrow. I had em delivered and I sent em back. Now I have 295 60 20s in a Terra grappler on the way here. They should look better. This is on a truck that has after market wheels with 1 1/2" of torsion bar lift and my own version of the small fender mod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much better mileage do ya'll think the terra grapplers will get over the trail grapplers......i was really hoping to have a more aggressive tread on this set

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd go with the Toyo Open Country AT2 over the Nitto terra grappler, as well as a Toyo MT over the trail grappler.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not trying to jack the thread here, but I am in the same situation as well. I have been looking trying to see if 35'' toyo mt's will fit or if I need to look at a smaller size. The truck is a 2012 chevy and chevy dealership added a leveling kit as part of the purchase deal and with the Tbars cranked about 1/2 way im 27'' from the center point on the center caps to the fender on front and back. Thoughts and suggestions........

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had the opposite luck with the Toyo M/T's. I'm going to get another 5-6 K miles out of my set of Nitto's Trail Grapplers hauling much heavier payloads.

I did like the Toyo's better than the Goodyears that were on the other truck before the Toyo's.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So I put the 295 60 20 Terra grapplers on. They look awesome and ride great. but just FYI I am having to do a decent amount of cutting to make em fit. Nitto was right on with their sizing these tires are every bit of 34.5x12.50.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts