Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 GMC 2500HD 4x4 150,435 miles. In the fall of 2010 my Low Coolant Warning came on. My level was low but no signs of a leak. I filled it and about 3 weeks later it came on again. I filled it and never had the warning again until 3 weeks ago (June 2011) It came on again, level was low, filled it. But now i am seeing some leaking of coolant building up on the skid plate and leaking on my driveway only about every 4 days. I cannot find where the leak is coming from. On top of the coolant level and leak, my transmission is running hot. It will run about 185-195 around town. But every couple of days as I get up above 60mph for a few miles, the temp climbs to the 250-280 range. The engine temp is running 190-200 and never climbs any higher no matter how heavy my foot is. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should start looking and what to check? Thanks

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
is it coming from the weep hole in the waterpump?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drove 30+ miles this morning, no sign of any leak from the water pump. Air temp thus morning was about 87 (has been 100+ for a week). Engine temp ran a constant 185. Trans temp wad about 180 until the last 10 miles and rose to about 205. All fluid levels look good. Any other ideas? The trans temp us what is really concerning to me.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
If it makes you feel any better my tranny runs about 200 in town, and it gets up there pretty fast and stays there. As far as the coolant issue, is your engine temp fluctuating at all? Like rising then falling? If so, then you might have a thermostat issue, and worst case, a head gasket issue.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Sounds to me like a water pump issue. Not sure on the trans temps, but mine runs 200* pretty often (granted it's frequently 115* here outside).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts