Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need help here. I have a 2006 LBZ Duramax, 35" tires. My bad joints are bad and they're welded onto my control arms so I have to replace them as a set once I go and change the ball joints.
A friend at work told me my truck sits higher slightly than stock, he looked under it, and the torsion bars are up, and there are 2" blocks under the rear leaf springs. So I have a 2" lift.
With that being said, what control arms do I need on this truck? To do it correctly.

Thank you. I'm also redoing the shocks because I noticed that there are stock shocks on it

·
Registered
2007 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ 6sp
155 Posts
Arms are not going to change the lift or allow you to lower the keys. It will help with ball joint angles. There’s a hood write up in one of the sections here about all that. But if your looking for arms. I like the kryptonite witch is what’s on my truck but I have also looking at zone, Camburg, BDS, or there are a few out there that use uniballs.
Now for the ball joints I would recommend going with kryptonite for the whole
Front end they have lift time replacement plus there stuff works. Or
You can also use rare parts i have read that they make some or kryptonite parts. Me personally Im working replacing my whole
Front end with either rare parts, kryptonite. Also I would suggest adding the pitman and idler arm braces made by Congnito or kryptonite. Same brace one owns the patent and one pays to copy that part

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arms are not going to change the lift or allow you to lower the keys. It will help with ball joint angles. There’s a hood write up in one of the sections here about all that. But if your looking for arms. I like the kryptonite witch is what’s on my truck but I have also looking at zone, Camburg, BDS, or there are a few out there that use uniballs.
Now for the ball joints I would recommend going with kryptonite for the whole
Front end they have lift time replacement plus there stuff works. Or
You can also use rare parts i have read that they make some or kryptonite parts. Me personally Im working replacing my whole
Front end with either rare parts, kryptonite. Also I would suggest adding the pitman and idler arm braces made by Congnito or kryptonite. Same brace one owns the patent and one pays to copy that part
Okay gotcha that makes a lot of sense actually. I was just trying to find out more information about the right way to go about it.
Now from the factory control arms if I replace them with OEM ones, you mentioned that the ball joint angles would be wrong?
Does that mean the front end will wear out faster if I just replace them with the OEM stock specific ones?
Or will it actually be dangerous for your front end?
And last but not least well I noticed a difference and is it absolutely necessary if I have a 2-in lift to go with the control arms that have that improved angle for the 2-in lift like kryptonite or cognino?
I appreciate any input air information that you're giving me it'll greatly help me out. I'm slowly but surely working on rebuilding my front too. I also need to replace the shocks because the shocks are stock. So I need to replace them with shocks that have that extra 2 in made specifically for trucks with a 2-in lift.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
938 Posts
I would go with the Kryptonite arms made for the 2” leveling so you ball angle stays correct. OEM will wear out very quickly with it cranked that much. For the shocks i would guess you have extended lower shock mounts to make it work with the OEM length shock. Check that out before you put longer shocks on or you will ruin your longer shocks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go with the Kryptonite arms made for the 2” leveling so you ball angle stays correct. OEM will wear out very quickly with it cranked that much. For the shocks i would guess you have extended lower shock mounts to make it work with the OEM length shock. Check that out before you put longer shocks on or you will ruin your longer shocks.
The only thing that I can see underneath in the rear for shots is the original bottom mounts for the shock my old shafts were all blown out all of the oil was expelled from the old shocks. The shocks didn't work anymore. Or I should say they don't work anymore. Nothing seems different in the front I don't have a spacer underneath on the top mount or the top of my shock bolts to my frame. The bottom mounts are the same as well. And they don't look to be different or extended.
Now for the upper control arms I should go with the two inch adjustment to account for the front lift to make sure the angles for the ball joints are correct, I understand that part. Now tell me do I need different lower control arms? Or can I have those be OEM but still aftermarket.
I know the shocks that I had on it were made for original ride height. But now for my understanding I do not have a truck that is original ride height I do have a 2-in lift on it all the way around.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
938 Posts
Your lower arms should be fine. Of course make sure the ball joints are still good but them are press in so are easily changed. I would either use Kryptonite or OEM ball joint for the lower. Your lower shock mounts are bolt on so what most companies that make leveling kits do is make a custom mount that has the hole farther up. Post some pics of the lower shock mount and we can tell if it is factory or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts