Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,

I am in New Jersey working claims and have a loud humm that is coming from the front drivers side wheel. I can feel it in the pedal a little bit as well. It gets real loud around around 40-60 and then fades out quite a bit. If I am in a sustained turn to the left the noise totally goes away. straight or right and the noise is there. I can go from left (no noise) to right (noise) through all driving speeds. Wheel bearings?? I had a hole in the tire and had it patched on that tire as well. Wonder if they jacked something up or did not tighten the lugs. I am without tools or I would be wrenching instead of typing. I will be heading down to Charlotte North Carolina on Monday and will be working there for some time. I need to find a local shop I guess to take a look at it. I can only have it down for a limited time as I am using it for work. Any ideas on what it is and what I should get to replace it and where I should go in Charlotte? Please help!!

-Stephen

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm in Hickory NC. There is a guy in Lincolnton which is about 30 minutes from charlotte who works on duramax's and would probably be glad to help out a fellow dmax owner. I wish I could come to wherever you're gonna be and help you out man but i have no idea about stuff like that. You are more than welcome to PM me for my number if i could be any more assistance to you.

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Lift the wheel, grab it at top and bottom, 12 & 6, and check for movement. It could also be loose lugnuts from the recent R&R, check those also. Hopefully, it's just lugs not tight and not the wheel hub that's the issue. Not that the Hub is troublesome to swap, just not convenient for you at the moment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I get a break I will check the wheel movement. Hey CJP do you have contact info for the mechanic near charlotte?

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think you nailed it, turning that takes away the noise it most always related to a bad bearing/ hub assembly. This is the way I have always diagnosed my wheel bearing / hub assemblies on all vehichles
good luck

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
i had the fender liner fall one time and it made a hideous noise rubbing against the tire. just a thought

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked with Mike over at the DMaxstore and he shipped me the bearing kit out yesterday. Great service!! We are in Charlotte and I am making a run to go get tools to pull the bearing when it comes in. Yeah, I was a wee bit nervous that it may lock on the drive down. Trying to limit movement on it now. I will post up when I get it pulled.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I pulled the hub and put on the new one and there is no change. Still makes grinding noise when going straight or right but stops when I turn the steering wheel left. Any other ideas?? Could it be the passenger front bearing as well?

·
Registered
239 Posts
it very well could be the other wheel bearing. when you took the previous one off did it show any signs of it being bad?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here was mine. This was off a 1500 tho

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it very well could be the other wheel bearing. when you took the previous one off did it show any signs of it being bad?
Well....I was so convinced that it was that bearing that I did not even check the play on it. :eek: Chalk one up for being a dumba$$ :thumb

I was a bit rushed in getting the job done so I could get back on the road. I am ordering another hub assembly from Mike at the DMaxstore today and will be replacing the other one as well. Truck has 105k on originals so I suspect they need to be replaced anyways. I am getting ready to start towing a 35ft 5th wheel and I want to get this figured out quick. Will keep you guys updated. Could it be anything else??

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
Good rule of thumb , is if you turn the wheel to the left and the noise goes away, it's almost always the opposite bearing. Turn left, noise stops, it's the right bearing. Turn right, noise stops , it's the left. Always has worked for me in diagnosing wheel bearing problems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem solved!!!

Yep, it was the passenger side bearing. Wow, the noise was so loud that when I put the new one on and drove it I was amazed how much noise I had gotten used to. The old bearing did have quite a bit of play in it. I am pretty happy that both are now new. Mike at the Dmaxstore really helped me out and got the parts to me fast so I think he needs to be mentioned. Thanks mike. Also, thanks guys for helping out.

-Stephen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts