Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck I have is a 2005 Silverado, and want to get rid of my stock radio. So I bought a BOSS BV9364BI on amazon on black friday. I got the wire harness,caps and Antenna adapter. Wired all the wires color/color and even read them to make sure their connected to the right ones. Every time I hook up my Boss stereo, the damn thing doesn't even turn on. Made sure the fuse was good as well.

I'm sick of googling, and not enough youtube videos on installing it either except slight older version of 9362. There is three other wires, but seems like from other videos they just let them dangle. It says Key 1 & 2, and Ground but does my stock harness already have ignition? like for the stock radio. I'm just confused if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
An aftermarket stereo requires an separate adapter on top of the wiring harness to run the bose system.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You need to connect the Ground wire but it is in the harness adapter if it is still hanging then you connected at least one wire wrong.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It almost looks like those three wires are the ones that are supposed to be connected to the parking brake..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you have a test light? If so, hook the clamp end onto a decent ground and test the constant and remote powers. Test both sides of the wires, before the connection you made and after the connection you made. The yellow is the constant, and should have power all the time, even without the key on. The red wire should have power when the key is on. If you get power from both of these like you are supposed to, make sure you have electrical tape on hand and trim enough of the plastic protection around the ground wire going to the radio to get the test wire clamp on it. Then test your power wires again. If you don't get power from them when doing this, you know that your ground is your problem. Make sure you use plenty of electrical tape to cover it back up, you don't want raw wire touching anything.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You also need another adapter to keep the door chimes working.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
The truck I have is a 2005 Silverado, and want to get rid of my stock radio. So I bought a BOSS BV9364BI on amazon on black friday. I got the wire harness,caps and Antenna adapter. Wired all the wires color/color and even read them to make sure their connected to the right ones. Every time I hook up my Boss stereo, the damn thing doesn't even turn on. Made sure the fuse was good as well.

I'm sick of googling, and not enough youtube videos on installing it either except slight older version of 9362. There is three other wires, but seems like from other videos they just let them dangle. It says Key 1 & 2, and Ground but does my stock harness already have ignition? like for the stock radio. I'm just confused if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
1, its not uncommon for a boss radio to not turn on, they are complete shit, send it back while you still can.

2, your 05 does not have accessory at the radio, it has a data turn on wire, if you hardwired it (shame on you....) you will need to run a wire to the ignition ( thick orange or brown) with a fuse in it.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
An aftermarket stereo requires an separate adapter on top of the wiring harness to run the bose system.
the aftermarket radio is BOSS, not BOSE, but you are on the right track with the retention harness. though a fun fact is the non bose harness will work on a bose truck if you reach around the HVAC controls and pull out the amplifier bypass harness and connect into that instead. good by POS bose amp, hello 5 minute amp bypass.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
This is the image what separate harness wire are you talking about? So those three other wires I have to splice to get it connected?
that is not the right harness for your truck, you would need something like this.

Do you have a test light? If so, hook the clamp end onto a decent ground and test the constant and remote powers. Test both sides of the wires, before the connection you made and after the connection you made. The yellow is the constant, and should have power all the time, even without the key on. The red wire should have power when the key is on. If you get power from both of these like you are supposed to, make sure you have electrical tape on hand and trim enough of the plastic protection around the ground wire going to the radio to get the test wire clamp on it. Then test your power wires again. If you don't get power from them when doing this, you know that your ground is your problem. Make sure you use plenty of electrical tape to cover it back up, you don't want raw wire touching anything.

im assuming by remote you mean accessory, there is no accessory , RAP or ignition on his truck at the radio, period, that is his problem.

You also need another adapter to keep the door chimes working.

correct, the harness i showed above retains that, as well as providing illumination, reverse, mute and parking brake connections, it is a GMOS01 made by metra, it will work for 03-07.5 bose or standard trucks, though the GMOS04 is designed for bose only

You need to connect the Ground wire but it is in the harness adapter if it is still hanging then you connected at least one wire wrong.

what the hell does that even mean? no shit you need to connect the ground wire, but thats probably not his issue since hes using a non data harness on a data vehicle. even if he didnt hook up the ground it would ground through the antenna to chassis

·
Registered
477 Posts
correct, the harness i showed above retains that, as well as providing illumination, reverse, mute and parking brake connections, it is a GMOS01 made by metra, it will work for 03-07.5 bose or standard trucks, though the GMOS04 is designed for bose only
Cool. When I put a stereo in my 05, I had to get two adapters.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
you will need a second module if you want to keep steering wheel controls. but if you do, it plugs directly into that metra harness with out having to hard wire anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks J83, I just got my wire harness at the local auto shop. I didn't know about the Non-data and Data connection problem. The video on youtube had a similar wire harness you showed me now it's making sense. I do have steering controls that adjust volume or change the duty station on the radio.

So I just shop for GMOS01? the link you gave me made by metra can I get a cheaper generic brand than $80? :/ Can this $20 GM interface adapter do the job?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AXXESS-METR...0437?pt=US_Wire_Harnesses&hash=item3399bd1f35

I just search GMOS01, and I get all different kinds but I don't know which one will certainly work. What do you mean by the HVAC control and Amp Bypass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys just saved my husband! 3rd try at installation. He was ready to burn it. I happened to find this and we got it done now. Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
^^^ glad you got it figured out. theres a lot of bad information out there on these trucks, youtube is notorious for incorrect wiring information on this platform. i have to explain all this at least 3 times a day, dont feel bad, you are not alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts