Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 04.5 lly and am starting to see some signs of oil slowly leaking towards the front of my passenger headcover. It looks like it might be leaking from this black sensor deal and then I think it is then running down my headcover. I have a few pictures.

Can you tell me what this sensor is for and if any of you have had this happen before. I am new to this and hope it is an easy fix! Is there just a gasket or something I need to replace?

IMG_20130319_185120_533.jpg

IMG_20130319_185101_898.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
EGR solenoid? My advice, get rid of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do these EGR solenoid tend to start leaking sometimes, or is there something else that leaks around it. I think it is the EGR solenoid that looks like it had most the oil reminence around it.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
897 Posts
Thats just gunk buildup. Means it leaked at some point, but as long as its not wet and as long as you dont have a puddle under your truck, your fine.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
The egr is not connected to an oil supply so there is no way its what is leaking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The egr is not connected to an oil supply so there is no way its what is leaking.
Ummm ok, so then I need check around it little more than. All I know is that there is something leaking in the general area really close to the egr solenoid. It was basically all covered in buildup, and I took this picture after I scraped some of it off. So I guess maybe Ill have to start taking things all apart. Any ideas of what else it might be than in that same area that is causing the buildup. Just looking for help for when I do take it apart so I have a general idea of maybe where to look next to find my problem!. It on that solenoid and then directly under the solenoid the headcover has some buildup too. So I am assuming my problem is right there somewhere just not sure where to look for sure to narrow it down!!

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
I'll be willing to bet its coming from the boost tube right above it.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I'll be willing to bet its coming from the boost tube right above it.
X2
The passanger side lower boost tube connection seeps oil out on mine and looks like similar mess u have just on the bottom end of tube. A pcv (positive crankcase vent) reroute should stop most of the oily residue from being vented through intake, but u may have to clean inside of boost tubes and intercooler to completly stop it as it may take a while too clean itself out after pcv reroute is done. Mabe somone that has done a reroute will confirm this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X2
The passanger side lower boost tube connection seeps oil out on mine and looks like similar mess u have just on the bottom end of tube. A pcv (positive crankcase vent) reroute should stop most of the oily residue from being vented through intake, but u may have to clean inside of boost tubes and intercooler to completly stop it as it may take a while too clean itself out after pcv reroute is done. Mabe somone that has done a reroute will confirm this.
ok, so the passenger lower boost tube is the one that is below the rubber tube connector then in my photo? Does it usually leak around the connectors or where was it seeping out on yours?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It is if you count the oil being sucked through the system by the PCV....:poke[1]:

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
ok, so the passenger lower boost tube is the one that is below the rubber tube connector then in my photo? Does it usually leak around the connectors or where was it seeping out on yours?
Yes mine seeps out through the rubber connection with the clamps. It is possible that a wire or somthing rubbed a pinhole in the soft aluminum tube itself, but i think that would be more noticeable. The only symptom I have is a goey mess. My drivers side boost tube show some wear from the rubber hydroboost hose, thats why mentioned a pinhole is a small possibility.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts