Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just got my '08 2500. I need some help with a few things.

I plan on getting the 4" cognito lift. Is there anything I should know about this lift? Anything better out there. I don't want too much lift. Just enough to run 33's and 20's w/no issues.

I am going to be adding color matched rhino bed liner and some dominator II step rails along with a kenwood dnx7100.

I also plan on buying the PPE tuner. I really need help on this. Is it okay for me to buy this with everything else still being stock? Can I use a really low tune and keep it safe until I can put other mods on? If it is not ok, what mods are a must for the tuner?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am hoping to have this pulled off in a week in a half. Very stressed out. lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good choice on the lift! I think Cognito has one of the best lift kits for GM's. I think you will have no problem clearing some 33's. I have the edge juice w/ attitude on my LMM with everything eles stock on the motor and the only issue that i have encountered is that recently if i run it on any level above #3 it will go into safe mode (only allows engine to run at about 1000 RPM's, even at full throttle) I retrieved the trouble codes from the unit and it said "Fuel rail pressure relief valve performance" I had my friend contact edge and they said this was not the first time they have heard of this issue and that their engineers are working on the problem. I was advised to place all settings back to stock until they fix the problem. I had a guy tell me today that i should have gotten the PPE programmer. So maybe you are going down the right path. Post pics when you get it done so we can see. Later.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Make sure you get the steering support brackets w/ the heim joints, they work really good. Good luck!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Well here's my 2 cents...if you are putting a lift and bigger tires on...remember that stuff puts stress on your tranny. With that in mind....if you want to do a tuner...you need an exhaust. I'm not sure what they make for the new truck with the DPF's...but you truck needs to breathe more. Your stock intake should be good though. But with a tuner...you will need an exhaust, pyrometer (to monitor EGT's), and not take the tuner over 90. Even with it being 90...you cannot do wide open throttles in high gears or you will slip or limp the tranny. And everytime you do it....it gets easier everytime...and the damage has already been done. If you don't want to limp your tranny...Suncoast makes a kit for around 2,300.00 that will let you rip all you want. But with everything stock...you are already running 365HP plus w/ the exhaust mod and extra 12 or 15HP, and bigger tires..that adds more stress on the tranny...I would just not gun it in high gears. But this is my opinion..and if anyone knows more about the LMM engine...please correct me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? I know the bigger tires will be harder to turn, more weight etc., but you are making it sound like the trans is going to give because of the lift. I've never heard this with any vehicle. I know normally you lose mpg, and you normally need to add a little more power to give it the umphh back but never that it's hurting the transmission. I thought the Allison trans was supposed to be the best thing around.

Where do I get the pyrometer?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
for gauges go with AutoMeters and i would do a Boost gauge along with the pyro gauge,check with DieselNut Performance(he is a sponsor on this site)
Part 1
the allison is the best tranny around in stock form but when you add extra hp to a truck all bets are off but if you leave the truck stock you shouldn't have a lick of problems but when you add extra hp i would suggest the same thing as nouse does so with that said run the ppe on the 2nd setting(90hp at the fly wheel)or if you want to run the 3rd setting when not towing but what your WOT in the higher gears and you'll be fine but i would do the cat back system for sure..
Part 2
the Duramax/Allison combo is a awesome combo made for pullin heavy loads in stock form and not made for lifts and 4X4 sports(but who wants a stock truck:NOT ME)so you need to do some mods to make them bullet proof when playing and it doesn't take much but there are a few things needed and depending how much you play you will need more then others but when you only plan on adding a little power i wouldn't worry about doing alot of upgrades.hope this makes sense and good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Like a stated before my drivetrain is stock except for the edge programmer plus i am running 40's and i have noticed minimal slipping of the tranny but you really have to be paying attention to notice. I am installing the MBRP filter back system towards the end of the week and hopefully that helps. I have yet to tow any heavy loads with it lifted, and the slipping is only a WOT like you guys were saying.I dont see 33in tires make that much of a difference from stock. But i could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time!!!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Let me rephrase what I said a bit. I'm not saying a lift and bigger tires will kill your tranny. I'm saying that if you just do an exhaust mod, and a 90HP programmer mod with a lift and bigger tires....every little bit of strain on the tranny will help slip it....where if you left it with stock size rims and tires...it would be a bit harder to slip it. But if you have the money to upgrade your tranny...do it. Or if you just don't care about money and don't mind fixing your tranny after awhile...then slip away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me rephrase what I said a bit. I'm not saying a lift and bigger tires will kill your tranny. I'm saying that if you just do an exhaust mod, and a 90HP programmer mod with a lift and bigger tires....every little bit of strain on the tranny will help slip it....where if you left it with stock size rims and tires...it would be a bit harder to slip it. But if you have the money to upgrade your tranny...do it. Or if you just don't care about money and don't mind fixing your tranny after awhile...then slip away.
Sorry if I am being a bit dense here. So you are saying be careful with the mods if I am not going to upgrade the tranny. Once I upgrade the tranny I shouldn't have much to worry about with the mods I've listed.

Thanks for y'alls help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
nOuse has a point. You will never know until you do it!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I personally am going to get a PPE tuner and run it on 90. I don't race or tow...I just use my truck for mileage. So I'm going to take the risk. But I only went to 265/75/16 tires...and have no lift. But that's just personal preference. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
well i ran 33's on my LBZ with a 160HP tune(PPE for 20K miles with that size tires)but i didn't do a lift i leveled the truck out using the T/Bars and never had a problem but doing bigger tires(35" and up)and lifts will increase your risk on the drivetrain since it buts your tie rods on drive shaft on an angle causing extra strain where as stock form you wouldn't have..

·
Registered
162 Posts
My last truck went through tie rods like crazy (04 2500) it was using about a set every 4 to 6 months, Dam lift kits! It was all worth it!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, I just bought the cognito 4-6" lift, got the in dash nav ordered this morning. Step rails will be here tuesday. I ordered the wheels they will be here in about 8 days. And I am waiting to hear back on the price on the tires shipped. All I lack now is rhino/line-x and the tuner. I may hold off on the tuner not too sure yet. I've spent 4k in less than 12 hours and it's beginning to make my stomach a little queasy, lol. Guess I missed my target date. But, it's all good. I should have everything but the lift by the end of next week.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That quessy feeling in your stomach will go away the first time you drive it. It will feel like a whole different truck, you will probably start making excuces to drive it like i did. " whats that honey? you need me to go get some milk? NO PROBLEM!!!! I will be back in a few hours!" Congrats on the purchase, post some pics asap!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts