Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and watched my buddy compete on the Sonoma track on his bike last weekend and he told me it's open to the public on Wednesdays. So now I REALLY want to take my 05 LLY for a spin.

What I have:
1. EFI Live 100 & 200 HP tune
2. MPRP 4" exhaust (cat fell off)
3. S&B cold air intake
4. LBZ turbo mouth piece

What I think I need at a minimum:
1. Kryptonite Tie rods
2. Lift Pump
3. Spring clamps

A new tranny would be an outstanding choice but that's not in the budget. . . It's a CCLB that just rolled 200K miles so it's probably not the best candidate weight wise to begin with but in order to get a good 4X4 launch and a descent time would the above items get me by? Is there anything else that is a must? (besides the tranny)
Or is this a bad idea alltoghether

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,474 Posts
Its only a bad idea if you don't have $10,000 laying around.

One big launch with the 200hp tune and you'll be buying a new tranny.

Diesels are not cheap to go fast. One thing leads to another and soon enough you have an $18,000 truck with $50-60k in it.

Id do tranny first before even worrying about any of that other stuff. Start off right and get that out of the way.

Reactions: TDavis1992

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's the right way to go. I got a little excited from reading posts from other guys that've ran with a stock tranny in the past I'll get it going. thanks

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,474 Posts
Look up tranny builders here. Near you I think is Mike L. Buy once cry once. I used Brad at Calvins (where Kory Willis is located) but that's a ways from you

·
Registered
11,109 Posts
200k miles... 100/200hp tune... 11 yr old truck... Almost as heavy as possible... What could go wrong...
I highly suggest you prioritize how much you need your truck on a day to day basis prior to taking it to the track while low on funds. In the diesel world you have to pay BEFORE you play.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TDavis you bring up a good point with the 11 yrs and that's the reason I decided to ask here first. Is this just asking for pandoras box? The diesel engine is probably good for a while longer, I'd have a new transmission & converter from Mike L but with everything else wiring, drive train etc. being old? If you're telling me I'm 7 years too late to do this so be it. I'll wait until I replace this truck with a newer model. Thanks for your input so far guys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If the transmission has been very well kept then MAYBE you can get by doing a few launches on the 100hp tune. Don't sit there stalling the converter for long or you'll wear it out. As for needs in the suspension department: Tie rods or sleeves, center link brace or pitman/idler braces, make sure your wheel bearings are in good shape as well as ball joints, remove your torsion bar bolts.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Don't waste your time and money. If you want a race truck find a single cab but seeing how a trans isn't in the budget neither is a single cab or a broken dd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts