Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a Firestone Air Rite and Bags installed on their Dmax? I ask because there is no room under the hood like in my '06 5.3 had. I am buying another set as the one in my 06 is useless to me, except the compressor which i'm re-using. Where would a good place be to install the compressor, i have the command level 2 i believe, it is a few years old and the name have changed. WR1-760 9284, i am buying the 2250 bags. if anyone needs sport Rite bags, mine are for sale cheap!! off an 06 GMC 5.3:help

·
Registered
637 Posts
I mounted my compressor under the rear seat.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Give me 20 min and I will get you pics...all under the hood ...nice and clean

·
Registered
524 Posts
I mounted the compressor on the pass side firewall and run the lines to the pressure guage, release valve etc on the drivers side. Not sure if I needed to or not but I wrapped the lines in silver reflective tape as it runs over the turbo...better safe than sorry.....Could get kinda hot under there....I have the electronic control module which is in the cab thus there are air lines running into the cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies that under hood setup is pretty slick. I like the looks of it. Under the rear seat is an option however i store some equipt. and safety stuff under there, and the noise in the cab of the compressor would drive my dog nuts and myself also i think. Thanks again gives me some thinking to do.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have to say one still hears the compressor fire up but as long as it lasts it is bearable.......

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have to say one still hears the compressor fire up but as long as it lasts it is bearable.......
Yeah, I checked under da hood and my LMM has absolutely no room where yours is mounted, there is a bit of room on the driver side where your lines are running.However it would be tight I will have to see where the local dudes here mounted it I know one guy mentioned the best place they've found is....so I will have to see what they say and go from there..thanks again.:gearjamin

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ya I am sorry about that......I forgot about the new body style...I have never had my head under the hood of those new rigs so I have no idea what you are dealing with there for room...Hope it works for you...

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a good idea never considered it perhaps a deflector to resist water/dirt from entering the filter also, i will look right away and see what I'm dealing with there.

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
524 Posts
That looks like a nice set up also....One could always run a line from the intake of the compressor to a spot say under the hood....attach the filter and that way there would be no issue with the filter getting contaminated by rain, snow etc......I am sure this would be a lot quieter than having the compressor attached to the firewall like i have.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just talked to the guys at my GM dealership here and they mount the compressor on the A/C condensor, they have to fabricate a bracket as I do not have one but hey, if it works then i'm fine with it. Wondering where the gauge is going to be mounted?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Depends on what kind of gauge you have. Mine is digital with the controls to fill and dump the bags attached to the digital gauge set up. Seeing as I have the bucket seats with the full center consol I installed it within the consol........

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got her back yeaterday afternoon and the pump is attached to the A/C unit with a square flat bracket attached to the 2 outter bolts. pump sits ontop lower than the plastic cover with the 6.6L on it. Gauge is mounted on the metal bar under the knee bolster to the right side against the centre console. It all looks pretty neat and tidy so i can not complain, only the install price had me having heart palpatations, $500 in labour i know it did not take 5 hrs but they claim 4.5 hrs, books say 2-3, Dealerships OH WELL it looks nice and better than i could do on my cold concrete driveway.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I dont have the air bags but I mounted my compressor for my air horns on the inside of my frame rail. Hope it helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts