Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't calculated it other than looking at my DIC. I am sick and tired of putting $700.00 worth of diesel a month in this truck, hell my payment is only $550.00. What are some good add-ons to get my mileage back up. I have 295's on it which are sucking diesel like a prom night keg. Not really wanting to remove the dpf. What are some realistic mods for me?

·
Registered
834 Posts
less skinny pedal...

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Change tires back to 245 or 265
Accelerate slow not going over 2k rpm's
Drive the speed limit
Find high cetane diesel or an additive that lubricates and increases cetane number
Coast to a stop instead hitting the brakes hard
Everything that can be done is neither fun nor exciting

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Smaller Tires
PPE AirBox Mod
Water/Meth Injection
DPF Delete
Tuner
Easy Right Foot
Put the front end back down to factory aerodynamic settings

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do the math on all the add-ons and figure how long it will take you to break even at a 2 MPG gain. Will take awhile but if you're putting $700 in fuel a month in your truck and not pulling anything your cheapest alternative is a cheap rice burner.
IMO smaller tires are about all that's gonna help w/o running into emission related problems. Fuel additives will help but they cost money too. Good for your truck but a wash as far as $$.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Try not lugging it in sixth. With larger tires at normal highway speeds you are lugging the engine usually.

I shoot for 1900 rpm. Seems to be the sweetspot for crusing

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a stock 2007 with 285's and no level, empty and I am seeing about 15 mpg average. I drive very easy and keep it under 2000 rpms and coast as much as possible and can't seem to break that average. I am planning on doing EFI live and putting a 4" MBRP exhaust on, I would like to see 20-21 with a economy setting. I have heard that the LBZ's flat out don't get the fuel economy that the LB7's get, which is everyone around me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
How about your route? I found that my truck gets rediculously good mpg at a steady 50 mph (80 km/h) in 6th gear locked up at about 1350 rpm. Are you burnin it up in tons of stop n' go traffic?

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
1st-- Have you re-calibrated your speed-o for the tires you are running ???
That alone will make the mpg off.
2nd-- Forget going by the dic, the dic will only give you a approx mpg, some dic`s are somewhat close and most are far off.

Mine with 285`s is around 14 mpg solo, mostly city with very little freeway.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
so why did you buy a big powerful diesel truck if you don't pull anything or get on it??????

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My daily drive consists of a 15 mile commute to work and I run around town doing errands after work. I drive on the freeway quite a bit per week too. I have changed my driving habits since starting this thread and I don't let it get over 2000 rpm's on this tank. Going to see what happens but my DIC (I know the number is a crock) went from 14.6 to 17.3. The only thing that sucks is it takes a mile and a half to get to cruising speed. I say I never got on it but after driving like this I realized that I do. So that may be the problem. I have sold all my toys recently so therefore I don't tow much anymore, that is until I find my next project and maybe a boat. Also you just can't beat a luxury diesel lol. Especially when I only financed $22,000 on it. Thanks for all the tips though guys! Has anyone seen an improvement with a CAI??? or any other simple mods? I have been looking for a subaru wrx, or a lexus is300 for a daily driver so I can quit putting the miles on my truck.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Don't do the PPE airbox mod. I did it on an LMM and the Mileage didn do anything if not drop a little. I'd do a DPF delete if i was you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been thinking real hard about it. Not only would the mileage be nice but the sound of a straight pipe on a d-max is music. I will probably put more miles on it to see if any bugs pop up out of nowhere. What kit is it that can go back to stock fairly easily?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've been thinking real hard about it. Not only would the mileage be nice but the sound of a straight pipe on a d-max is music. I will probably put more miles on it to see if any bugs pop up out of nowhere. What kit is it that can go back to stock fairly easily?
That "music" is very addicting and can yield bad millage as you will find yourself playing it to much...:booboo

:drink

1 - 20 of 31 Posts