Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like so many others on here I'm in the market for a new diesel due to increased towing and have been going back and forth between my three choices. Every one has pluses and minuses but it comes down to how I use it. I like to hunt and camp in remote areas. I live in Arizona and when off road I'm usually on washed out trails or ones with basketball sized rocks covering it.
Currently I have a Ford F150 crew FX4 with no lift and have scrapped the skid plates many times on the trails.

I love the 2015 Chevy and GMC. The interiors look great, the prices aren't bad and I've heard good things about the engine and transmission. I love the 36 gallon fuel tank since that's what I currently have in my F150. My one issues, which I'm sure is getting old, is the DEF tank. I can't imagine not damaging it on the trails I ride on. Again I'm not rock crawling but I have my fair share of "Arizona pinstripes" and don't like not getting to where I want to hunt or camp.

The Ford 250 is my second choice but the 26 gallon gas tank is a deal killer for me. I could go with a Transfer Flow 50 gallon aftermarket tank to solve the fuel tank issue but that's also probably another $1400 installed and set up to work with the computer on an already high priced vehicle.

Ram I'm just unsure about. First I read about issues and quality control problems then I read the new ones are great and should be a first choice when looking at a diesel.

So what's the real deal with the DEF tank? I've read through a ton of post on here where people say it isn't an issue and have driven their trucks from hell to back with no issues and others that talk about damaging them on the road and not even realizing it. Deleting it is not an option since I want the truck stock and covered by warranty. I've read about Orfab covers but does that help and wouldn't that make the lowest point closer to the ground, more prone to being hit?

This new truck is going to be my daily driver, long trip family vehicle, toy hauler towing in the backcountry and remote location hunting rig. I have to make the best decision and appreciate any input. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a 5.5' bed now and fill it to the max with a cab on the back when we go camping, hunting or on vacation. I was really looking forward to the extra foot of space. Plus I was reading about drainage issues if it was relocated there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Orfab will only be about 1/2 inch lower than your DEF tank. I am one who has had a hole knocked into the tank????? Don't know how or when until I got a light on about it. That when I put the Orfab on. I looked under a new Ford the other day and it may fill next to the diesel tank but if you look at the tank on them they hang down below the frame and the driveshaft, it looks to me like that might really be a worse location that the one on the GM truck. Like always your problems may be different than mine. Good luck with the choice and I don't think you can go wrong with the GM.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Very few have reported punctures (obviously one of them has posted above). There are aftermarket plates available (orfab mentioned above is one).

The current chassis/powertrain is unmodified since 2011. except for the addition of insulation material around the def tank (to make the heater more effective in extreme cold).

Lots of posters on here from Az. I'm sure some will post off road experiences in the southwest.

·
Premium Member
8,198 Posts
I put a skyjacker plate under mine. works great, 0 issues at all
Been in some rough country here in the SW and have scraped it up, but thats its job.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
RAM makes a great truck now with the new 2014 and up. RAM's interior is hard to beat but GM has finally caught up some what. The Duramax has more seat of the pants kick and the allison is hard to beat. That said, RAM and the Cummins motor is finally doing it right.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sir, I am also a very avid hunter, outdoors man and live in New mexico. Should be very similar, I installed a Fab tech skid plate on mine because I also had concerns. The plate is about 1/4" no more concerns. This is my 3rd Duramax and I love the power and response over the Cummins. I drove the Cummins and had conserns of the Cummins bgeing able to pull my load from a stop. Then I found out that GM redesigned the 2015 so I started looking for pictures and strated seeing what the interior looked like and was quickly sold on the GM. I custom ordered mine 4 Feb 2014 and received it 29 Mar 2014. I love this truck, buy the GM you will not be sorry. Assume truck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also bought a 3500 this time instead of a 2500, there was only 7-8 hundred difference in price and glad I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the information. I'll definitely check out the 3500 as well and the other brands of DEF skid plates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts