Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for garage ideas. 2 bays wide and deep enough for 2 vehicles with a little room in each bay. One more thing, looking to have an apartment or living quarters upstairs.

You guys have anything similar?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Build the max you can afford. At first it will look roomy, later it will be stuffed. Pray for the lotto

·
Registered
945 Posts
Put 2 doors in with 5-6 feet between the doors.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
If building from scratch, think it out carefully, BEFORE drawing plans.

I built a work shop that is my everything shop. I do wood, metal, automotive, reloading, you name it. Of course it's too small. It was all I could afford, and is 24x30 with 10ft ceiling, AND attic trusses. Those allow me quite a bit of storage above the shop floor.

The layout of mine is the roll up door (8ft H x 12ft W) in on the 30ft side, and I THOUGHT 24ft deep was enough to park my truck in. Well it WAS before I built a bench on that wall. Duh. I could remove the bench, but I use it a lot.

I've been tempted to put my reloading equipment in my house garage that is drywalled and insulated. That would let me park the truck in the shop. Have to talk that one over with the wife. Plus I have to get my daughters furniture out of the garage too. That's a whole other story.

Anyway, plan your layout on paper and allow room for benches, cabinets, tool chests, compressors, (wall mount and floor mount) and then with car or truck in there, make sure you have room to walk around it freely.

You will be surprised how quickly that square footage gets eaten up.

·
gwcamp
46 Posts
I have a 30x30 with 12 foot under the truss great for pulling engines.

·
Registered
256 Posts
spend the money on the tubing for in floor heat even if you dont hook it up right away at least it will be installed

make room for a lift too!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
spend the money on the tubing for in floor heat even if you dont hook it up right away at least it will be installed

make room for a lift too!
I really wanted to fo that before we poured the floor for house AND shop, but time got away from me too quickly and it wasn't done. Heck I had to make a panic move to make the contractor put my service panel where I had already told them I wanted it. Plan it out ahead and make sure they do it right.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Looking for garage ideas. 2 bays wide and deep enough for 2 vehicles with a little room in each bay. One more thing, looking to have an apartment or living quarters upstairs.

You guys have anything similar?
Gambrel roof for the upstairs.
Lots of space.
You won't be sorry.
Check out this link:

https://barnplans.com/gambrelroof.php

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
I don't care how you build it or how much you plan, when it is finished it will not be big enough:hairy

Reactions: TexasRedNeck

·
Registered
598 Posts
With living quarters above definitely go gambrel roof for the most livable space. One thing to think about is. Do you take up space in the shop for stairs or do you build them on the end outside?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Build 3x bigger than you think your need or what ever you can afford. Which ever is bigger. I've never met anyone who said that they build their garage/shop to big.

once my ex buys me out or sells, I plan on buying land and building a shop with an apartment as well. My current plans call for a 40'x60' foot print. but the more I think about it, the more likely I will be to add on to that. As I'll probably make room for a second apartment on the ground floor for my parents to use in their retirement.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
My brother did similar in Ohio. His shop/barn is 60x100 and he built a 2 story appt in one corner of his.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A little late to the party but I'd just like to second loading up your floor with some tubing for heat. If you don't have a boiler system to tap off of a hot water tank and little circ pump would work. If you plan on anchoring into your floor lay the tubing our carefully. We rebuilt an old garden shed on our property for a play house / rabbit hutch I added a loop to our boiler system - a kids playhouse / rabbit hutch has never had it so good.

If your shop is going to be an everything shop think carefully if it is going to include wood, as in sawdust. I shifted over to a separate but too small for me area for wood. Me and the shops are happier that way.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Yup 8 and 16' doors suck! Check out The Garage Journal forum.
Garage Journal Forum!! Do you know how long I've been looking for a site like that?! I'm planning one too.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
A little late to the party but I'd just like to second loading up your floor with some tubing for heat. If you don't have a boiler system to tap off of a hot water tank and little circ pump would work. If you plan on anchoring into your floor lay the tubing our carefully. We rebuilt an old garden shed on our property for a play house / rabbit hutch I added a loop to our boiler system - a kids playhouse / rabbit hutch has never had it so good.

If your shop is going to be an everything shop think carefully if it is going to include wood, as in sawdust. I shifted over to a separate but too small for me area for wood. Me and the shops are happier that way.
Johnnyradiant:A friend of mine did the same thing in his wood shop/garage.
he put a smaller electric hot water tank under his miter saw bench (no wasted floor space).
His dogs loved being in the shop.
Slab was 30' x 40' and he and I laid the tubing in about 3 hours.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Put the air compressor in a separate room-- not in the main work area-- they can be noisy and annoying.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,111 Posts
you planning stick or metal framing?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Garage Journal Forum!! Do you know how long I've been looking for a site like that?! I'm planning one too.
Get in and get out fast.haha
It will suck you right in !o! It's a great sight! Black Friday sales used to be off the hook.Tool sales that is.There just not as good as they use to be.

I've watched several guys build there garage,step by step! With professional imput of ,hey have you thought about this,dahm what a great idea! It go's on and on !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts