Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, my headlights are cloudy and look like crap. There are a lot of different and new headlights available. I ran HIDs in my GMC and they were bright but too "ricer" for me. I wouldn't mind having stock bulbs just with new housings. OR, some of these guys doing all LEDs are pretty cool as well. Saw a guy do both brights and dims, didn't like the white but maybe would of looked good in black? Also don't want tinted..If anyone has some pics of 03-07 Chevy style aftermarket lights please post!

Registered
HID is very nice if you do it correctly, get a set of Denali lights and a set of 5000k or 6000k HID. 5000 will be really white 6k is a very light blue.

Or get a set of Denali lights, a retrofit plate to throw a set of morimoto mini 6.0 projectors in and a set of HID and enjoy some very bright lights.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
need chevy lights

Registered
My bad you said gmc so I assumed for that, Misread. Anyways I'd look at a set of oem lights but do a projector retro fit in them. You'll have a lot better light output than stock and still have oem fit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
idk if id trust myself to retro fit projectors lol, probably nothing to it, but it would be a good way for me to ruin a good set of housings..ill look into it tho

Premium Member

Registered
Some of the amazoid or fleabay stuff doesn't fit right (reveal gaps) and the reflectors can leave a lot to be desired.
Any suggestions on a good aftermarket brand OEM style? (I want to stay with the OEM style, because everything else looks too "ricer"... but aftermarket housing in an OEM style is fine)

Mine are all hazed over across the top half from spending 8 years in the California sun. (on the 06)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing wrong with new OEM style replacements. They are impressive when new, clear, and shiny again (you get so used to the chronic haze). The lower ones with the DRLs too. Some of the amazoid or fleabay stuff doesn't fit right (reveal gaps) and the reflectors can leave a lot to be desired.

With the new fixtures, bump up the output with some HIR 9011/9012s...
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diy-tech-discussion/136558-how-legal-headlight-upgrade.html
a lot of great info! I really appreciate it

Premium Member
Any suggestions on a good aftermarket brand OEM style? (I want to stay with the OEM style, because everything else looks too "ricer"... but aftermarket housing in an OEM style is fine)
Not really. The ones I've had so far, either the pin didn't fit the holes, or the reveal didn't match, or the center diffuser in the lows were either loose or mounted cockeyed.

Gonna try rockauto next.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this for OEM quality or cheap ones that will get condensation in them?

Premium Member
Who knows, without having tried 'em. Pics all look the same.
Not listed as factory supplied, GM or acDelco.

I've seen some cheap ones where the round rubber seal on the back was distorted and not seating properly, which could lead to the condensation.

I found a 'surplus' supplier claiming it's;
GENUINE GM 10396912
GENUINE GM 10396913
for $87.50/ea

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone ever use pro tuning? I found a set of black housings with clear lenses and clear corners I like.

Registered

Registered
I am assuming you mean cloudy like damaged by the sun. I have fixed several sets and it should only take about an hour or so if your willing to do the work. I wet sand them with 1000,1500,2000,2500 grit paper then polishing them with a buffer and a polishing compound. I would take them off the truck to do it because it makes a huge freakin mess. Just my .02.

Registered
Thanks man! Ended up getting the same ones off Amazon for $100. They are China jobs like most things are, but the reviews were good and the quality seems close to oem except for the adjusters. I might end up swapping the adjusters from my stockers, though.

Registered
Thanks man! Ended up getting the same ones off Amazon for $100. They are China jobs like most things are, but the reviews were good and the quality seems close to oem except for the adjusters. I might end up swapping the adjusters from my stockers, though.

Looks good! What is wrong with the adjusters?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts