Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a whistle noise coming from engine bay when accelerating after I replaced uppipe and downpipe. It is only around 12psi boost.
I took it to a shop, we test drive it and mechanic said it's sound like metal grinding noise. He thinks it's probably bad turbo. He said he can do some test on turbo next week.
I removed turbo mouth elbow and turbo wheel has a lot of play. It's moving up and down and back and front. It does't look good to me.
If I need new turbo what are my options? It's my DD, I don't need a lot of horse power, looking for reliability.
2015 with 75K miles

Thank you for advice.

·
Registered
757 Posts
A little side to side is fine, but back & forth is no good. If you are looking for a turbo I have one in the garage I took off my 16 with 23k miles I'd work a deal with you on if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
8,490 Posts
Pick up a good used turbo from somebody. That’ll be the best/cheapest option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Like cody said. A little radial play is normal unless its contacting tbe housing but having any axial play is not. I would take cody up on his offer for the used stocker.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for offer, but I'll get new one, it should by covered by extended warranty.
I was just wondering if there is something better.

·
Premium Member
8,490 Posts
Nice that it’ll be covered by warranty. If you were not looking for any added power, the stock turbo will be the most reliable. I don’t know if there are any mods done to your truck, but if you switch to a different/larger turbo, you would need to spend money on tunes to get it to work optimally as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
Haven't heard too many good things from the stealth line-up. My experience on the phone with one of the sells guys was far from friendly. Guy was a complete d*ck to be honest. Most people will recommend Danville. He offers a 63.5mm AKA 64 or a 65mm option as well. I have heard some good things from Ryans Diesel as well.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
I would stay away from the stealth series. Nothing but issues there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts