Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my passenger side wheel bearing. I see Duramaxstore has their XD brand, and then also the Kryptonite brand with a lifetime warranty. I'm guessing both of these are better then the Moogs, what about Timken? What is the general consensus for the best wheel bearing? Hoping to keep my truck for a long time so the lifetime warranty is attractive. Also, is there any reason to do both at the same time? Or just wait until the other one goes out as well?

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
MOOG has a lifetime warranty too. So does Timken I think. Both are excellent parts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Get a good one, most warranties don’t cover labor, and you’ll get tired of doing them yourself pretty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Ive always had good luck with timkens

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the Kryptonite wheel bearings rebranded Timkens?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
5 years ago at about 100k miles my driver side went bad (a little slop doing the 12-6 o'clock wiggle test with the wheel off the ground). I still drove 3k miles across the country to get home so they often go bad slowly. I replaced it with a Timken.

I didn't replace the passenger side and it's still good at over 140k miles, although I need to check it since I just got back from a 4k mile trip.

Unless there is some major event that led to the failure (driving in flooded area or lots of river crossings?), then I don't think there is any correlation between one failing and when the other will. But some will feel that if one went, the other won't be far behind. Maybe. Maybe not. But again, I don't think so.

[added on edit] Also, some believe the bearings are not packed with enough grease which contributes to earlier failure. So, they take out the speed sensor and cram more grease into the hub. I bought "Timken" grease which is absolutely not a guarantee to be whatever they packed in the hub, and pumped some into the hub, but probably not enough to make any difference what-so-ever. But everybody should do what they are comfortable with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Moog or Timken. Replace both for peace of mind.

I had this conversation with a customer of mine who just retired from the company that made moog. I believe it was federal Mogul. Anyway I was asking him if the moog were that much better then the other lifetime warrantied off brand bearings. He said there was a vast difference in quality still. Just that the other parts were so cheap to make that they could afford to replace the failed part.

Lifetime warranty isn’t a promise of quality it is promise they will give you another when it fails. I don’t base my decision solely on the warranty. Personally I don’t like replacing failed parts more then once if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Kryptonite ones. I know they're quite a bit more then Timkens, but I've never heard anything but good about Kryptonite stuff. Also, I've always told myself since buying my truck that I'm going to buy as good of a part that I can afford when replacing stuff and hopefully someday stuff won't break any more lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you honestly think Kryptonite builds it's own bearings!! Guaranteed they're Timkens or SKF in a Kryptonite wrapper. But it's not my money.
No I'm sure they don't. But I'm also sure that they aren't going to slap their good name on a shitty part. And that name also gets me a really good warranty in case it ever does go bad.

·
Registered
504 Posts
That's what I'm saying, you're paying for the Kryptonite name on the box, when the exact same bearing from Timken is $$ cheaper. I don't know what the difference is. you said it was "quite a bit more" for the kryptonite

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I'm saying, you're paying for the Kryptonite name on the box, when the exact same bearing from Timken is $$ cheaper. I don't know what the difference is. you said it was "quite a bit more" for the kryptonite
Seems the Timkens can go anywhere from about $150-180, depending on where you get it from and how much you have to pay for shipping. I paid $227 shipped from Dmaxstore for the Kryptonite. Timken as I understand has a lifetime warranty? (some website said only 12 months so not exactly sure on this) but the Kryptonites have a lifetime where they actually send you a replacement right away (kind of like a core charge) then you send back the bad one. That way you don't have to uninstall the bad one and wait for a replacement to come.

Reactions: Dales Super Store

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Went through many Moog bearings until I went with Timken . Sometimes you can get a screaming deal on Rock Auto for the Timkens . Cant comment on the others just know Moog sucks .

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Just my observations....
Save $100+ and roll the dice with a new Timken.
Lifer Warranty sounds good, but ask yourself, "Cardone....wow! must be a good choice? It's a Lifer!".
:rofl

Note; wheel bearing failure isn't a 'thing', it does happen, but not always.
And if one does fail, that's it. The other side rarely follows.
Many people run 100s of 1000s of miles and never have a bearing issue.

What makes even less sense, is ordering both and replacing both.....when only one side is failing. 'dunno;

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just my observations....
Save $100+ and roll the dice with a new Timken.
Lifer Warranty sounds good, but ask yourself, "Cardone....wow! must be a good choice? It's a Lifer!".
:rofl

Note; wheel bearing failure isn't a 'thing', it does happen, but not always.
And if one does fail, that's it. The other side rarely follows.
Many people run 100s of 1000s of miles and never have a bearing issue.

What makes even less sense, is ordering both and replacing both.....when only one side is failing. 'dunno;
Thanks for the advice Hookem, 1 side it is.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Everything I have read points to Kryptonite being rebranded Timken. The Timkens normally go for around $130 on Rock Auto.

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
Call me Mr Overkill. Had one going bad, replaced both with Moog.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did that a couple years ago. I was told that yes they are Timken bearings. I think most of their parts are rebranded. That was all I needed to hear. I bought a Timken and put it on my truck. My 06 LBZ has 200,000 miles on it and only the 1 bearing has been replaced. That was at about 160,000 miles. The other is still going strong. I wouldnt even think about replacing one of those until it needed to be done. As far as the Kryptonite warranty. Do you think you will keep your truck for another 150,000, 200,000, 300,000 miles? thats how far you may have to go to use that warranty!

I have great peice of mind and saved a lot of money going with Timken.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts